56. Best Friends For Never

Another chapter! Whoop Whoop!

We're getting close to the end. (I think, lol)

The only question is: Who'll make it to the end?

Anyway, I give you...

-

THE NINE

-

"We're free!" Josie exclaimed, running to the grassy field and sprawling out. "It's so nice out here!"

Kala hopped on the ground next to her. "It really is!"

The rest followed in suit, Adam setting Tannin down sweetly, as Ali and Cat pulled Eric to the ground. Even Eve laid with them, crossing her arms under her head and breathing in the fresh air.

"I didn't think we'd make it out," Eric said. "But I'm glad we all made it." He paused. "Except for Kai and Isabel and Katie and Sam and Key and-"

"We get it Eric," Ali said. "You don't have to remind us."

He apologized. "I'm just glad I still have some friends." He looped his arm around Zach. "Best friends that would never, ever betray me or any of us for that matter."

Zach gulped.

"Friends that are so loyal and caring and would never hurt me-"

Zach shifted.

"-and I've never had any friends I would rather be with than you all."

"Aww!" Josie gushed. "We love you too!"

"Yeah, you the best!" Cat said.

"Thanks guys," Eric said, then sniffed."Means 'lot, you know?"

Everyone nodded, all soaking in the breeze and sun. Adam lazily pulled Cat to his chest as Josie picked flowers. Kala and Ali played Name the Cloud and laughed over the weirdest shaped-clouds in the sky. Eric began pestering Eve by asking her about the spy business, who wouldn't answer any questions. Zach tugged at his shoelace and watched his friends, telling himself what he had done was right. Because it was, he decided. They were all happy, so it was right.

All was calm and cool. Everything sorted out.

Then. It wasn't.

As if someone had pressed a button, the school erupted into flames. Like an explosion, it erupted in a big bang enlighting the whole place, instantaneously everywhere. Like a fat man at a buffet, it devoured everything. From the old wing to the new, third floor to basement, it lit up every part, sparing nothing.

Kala gasped. "Oh my gosh."

"I'm glad Katrina and Harry got out," Ali said. "Burning is a terrible death."

Zach froze. Harry and Katrina were still in there. And they weren't dead. Not yet. But they would burn.

Unless someone saved them.

Zach got up, which made the others stand too.

He stepped forward.

"Zach?" Eric said, dashing in front to his friend and placing a hand on his chest. "What are you doing?"

The blonde stared at the burning school, an unreadable expression on his face "I'm going in." He walked toward the school but Eric stopped him.

"You want to go in there?" Eric said, confused and caring. "Zach whatever is in there, isn't worth going back for."

Zach shook his head. "You don't understand."

"Then tell me, dammit!" Eric yelled, agitated. "Ever since Kai died, you've been acting weird and it's bothering me! Why do you want to back in there?"

"Cause Katrina and Harry are in there!"

Eric's face fell to a frown. "But you told us-"

"I lied, Eric," he ran a hand down his face. "I... I shot them."

"Whoa," Eric backed up. "Y-you shot them?"

"But they're not dead!" Zach said quickly, his heart breaking at the look of distrust Eric was giving him. He did it to save Eric so that they could be friends forever, not to harm them. He didn't even mean to shoot Katrina, that was an accident. "And that's why I have to go back."

"By all means, go ahead. I'm not to stop you." Eric said curtly. "But don't expect us to still be here when you come back."

Cat furrowed her eyebrows. "Eric-"

"No, Cat! We're not going to wait for a back-stabbing psychopath to come back from deliberately going into a burning building! Not after he shot Harry and Katrina. Oh Harry and Katrina..."

Cat put her hand on his shoulder. "But he's still our friend-"

"No," Eric shoved her hand off, giving Zach one last look of pure hatred before turning his back and walking away. "He's not anything."