53. Night of the Living Dead

"I didn't mean to! Oh my god! I'm so sorry!"

"Stop talking."

"No no no no! I'm sorry! I didn't... I'm so stupid I just-"

"Dude, stop."

"If I had seen her- or if I didn't pull it on reflex- if I actually paid attention-"

"Shut up!"

"Sorry. I'm so sorry. So so so so so very, very sorry- OW!"

Harry rolled his eyes. "Katrina, can you hear me?" He lightly smacked her face. "Katrina, show me something, anything, so that I know you're alive. Oh gosh, please be alive."

But Katrina didn't move. Her body stayed ungodly still on the floor, her chest frozen, and her pulse unreadable. Blood was gushing out of her stomach like water pouring out of a broken dam. Harry had tried to cover the wound with his jacket but it was completely saturated. There wasn't a first aid kit in the school, they had gotten rid of all the medical supplies for money, which was ironic because the school was literally sitting on top of a gold mine. He couldn't call an ambulance because the phone lines were down and surely the nurse was dead. There was no way he could help her, unless...

"Zach, you've got to help me carry her."

Zach shook his head, tears streaming down his cheeks. "I-I-I can't."

"Yes, you can," Hardy said curtly. "Just help me grab her legs-"

"No, Harry, I can't," Zach said. He took a deep breath. "If I do, everyone will know I shot her and then I'll be the bad guy." Zach then lifted the gun. "I'm sorry Harry, but I have to."

Bam!

Harry fell flat on the floor.

Zach stood up, trembling with quiet sobs. He dropped the gun, stepped around his friends' blood, and walked out of the room, drying his cheeks.

"Hey, where've you been?" Kala asks Zach as he rounded the corner, grimacing. "You limp like a zombie."

Everyone had calmed down from earlier. Eric was on his feet and looking a little pale, but otherwise fine. Adam had brought it upon himself to carry Tannin, who was sweating profusely. Josie, Kala, and Cat were standing by a muttering Eve. They were calm, and all most certainly waiting for Harry's instructions.

"It's the night of the living dead," Zach mumbled to himself. He then said, "Harry and Katrina left."

This got everyone's attention.

"Left?" Eve yelled. "What do you mean left?"

Zach shrugged. "They ran down the hall and out the exit. I would've stopped 'em, if I could run." He gestured to his leg. "You know, 'cause I was shot."

Eve gritted her teeth. "That spineless jerk." She shook her head. "This is the last time I ever do a favor for him."

"You have no idea," Zach said.

"What?" Eve asked.

"Don't worry about it," he scratched the back of his head, leaning against the wall. He was getting dizzy and he couldn't tell if it was because the pain from his leg was killing him or the guilt from shooting two of his friends.

He shouldn't be guilty though. Harry had attacked Eric. He deserved what was coming. And Katrina sacrificed herself. That wasn't his fault.

Eve ran a hand through her hair. "We're going to be fine," she nodded. "Let's go."