60. Nuts

Wow, it's chapter 60. I cannot believe it. Man, I write a lot! Thanks for sticking around this long! It must be tiring, readin' all them words!

-

THE SUPERLY PUNNY CREW

-

"This is what I get for letter a third grader drive," Adele said, staring at the steaming car.

James scoffed. "I'm eleven and in fifth grade!"

"Same difference," Adele scowled, sitting down on the curb with a huff.

Miss Smith kicked the back tire. "Well this is a bust."

"Yeah," Jett said. "Why'd you have to crash the car, James?"

The blonde threw his hands into the air. "It's not my fault the squirrel jumped in front of the car! That was nuts!"

Adele groaned. "Stop it with the puns, it's annoying."

James was about to respond when the parametric walked up.

"Are you the owners of this car?" He asked.

Adele and Miss Smith stood up as Jett said, "Yes, but it's a rental."

He nodded and took his hat off, scratching his bald head anxiously.

"Well I'm sorry to tell you this but your friend, the girl-"

"Bailey?"

"Yeah," he said, not looking them in the eyes. "She um... Her head smashed into the window and all that glass..." he sniffled. "She didn't make it."

Miss Smith's heart skipped a beat. "What do you mean? She didn't..." She faded off, afraid to finish her sentence.

She didn't really know Bailey, but the girl had been sweet and fun to be around. Just the thought of her being dead...

He sighed. "I'm sorry," he said. He placed his cap back on his head and went back to the ambulance, leaving the four in shock.

"Oh my gosh," James said. "I killed somebody." He fell to the pavement, the color washing away from his face.

Jett was instantly at his side. "No you didn't, James," he squeezed his shorter friend's shoulder. "It's like you said, the squirrel came out of nowhere. It was nuts. Remember?"

James shook his head. "This is serious, Jett. I-I... she's dead, because of me." Tears glazed over his eyes. "I don't- how will-" he put his head in his hands and mumbled, "I'm so sorry."

Jett gave James the most empathetic look as he rubbed his back soothingly.

Adele stared down at the kids sorrowfully. "I'm going to write a song about this," she muttered.

"What?" Miss Smith asked.

"Oh nothing," Adele waved it off. "It's just, that poor girl. She was so nice."

Miss Smith nodded in agreement. "The world is sick, taking a life so beautiful and vibrant."

"It's tragic," a voice from behind them said.

The two women whipped around to find the one and only, Liam, leaning against a lamppost.

Adele rolled her eyes. "I guess you're back."

"So I am," he said. "What's with the attitude?"

She shrugged. "Oh, you know. It's only your fault all this has happened-"

"Whoa whoa whoa!" He paced toward her. "My fault? I wasn't the one who let the kid drive. That was you, missy."

"But we never would've left the restaurant if you hadn't shown up," Miss Smith sassed, defending her new found friend.

"Is that so?" He questioned. When they didn't respond, he tsked. " 'a shame that you blame it on me, an old war veteran who can't find peace." He cracked his knuckles. "Shows how low you'll go to not feel guilty."

Adele gritted her teeth. "We don't need you here. We're better off without you."

Liam creased his eyebrows. "You sure 'bout that, love. Looks like he could use some help, since he's just experienced death firsthand," he gestured to James, who was full on sobbing.

"We've got it covered," Miss Smith said.

Liam shrugged. "Suit yourself." His figure shimmered and then vanished completely.

The four were silent, all deep in their thoughts about the car crash and Bailey, poor, poor Bailey.

Then Jett asked, "Where's Eli?"

"He went on to go save the day, remember?" Miss Smith said. "He flew there instead of getting in the car."

Jett nodded, going back to making his friend feel better as the ambulance drove away. Miss Smith and Adele sat down next to them.

All was calm and quiet.

Until, it wasn't.