66. They Ain't Gonna Make It (Part One)

Second to the last chapter before the epilogue! It's almost over! Yay!

So here we go with...

-

ERIC (AND BASICALLY EVERYONE ELSE)

-

It all happened so fast.

In a blink of an eye.

Boom!

And that was it.

One minute they were laughing, the next, they were all dead.

He was getting ahead of himself.

Focus.

Eric sucked in a deep breath.

Concentrated his thoughts.

He was there with Kala.

Kala.

Yeah.

They were talking.

She was trying to make him feel better.

Because of Kai and Harry and Zach...

No.

Focus.

They, Eric and Kala, were sitting in the field, talking things over, trying to breathe against the load of their friends' death piling on their chests, when Miss Smith, two little boys, and some other woman ran up to them, panting like dogs.

"Can we help you?" Kala had asked.

The woman nodded furiously. "Have you seen a weird blonde kid? About yay high?" She put her hand half a foo above her head.

Eric shook his head. "Don't think so."

She tried again. "He's wearing awkwardly tight spandex and mask tear-stained?"

"Doesn't ring a bell," Kala hummed.

The taller of the two boys rolled his eyes. "Thinks he's a superhero but is beyond dorky?"

"Ohhh! You mean Eli!" Eric exclaimed. "No, haven't seen 'em. What's up?"

The shorter of the two boy's rolled his eyes. "The sky's up, duh!"

Kala glared at him. "You're not funny, James."

"Am too, Kala!" James retorted, sticking his tongue out.

Eric furrowed his eyebrows. "You two know each other?"

"He's Katie's little brother," Kala said, then bit her lip. "Or he was..."

*awkward silence*

Luckily, Miss Smith stepped forward, saving the group from the awkwardness.

"Where's everyone else?" She said.

"Who?" Eric asked.

"You know," Miss Smith said. "The rest of the orchestra?"

Eric peered over at Tannin's sleeping figure and Cat and Adam snogging. "This is all that's left."

Kala almost nodded, then something snapped into her head. "But where'd Josie, Ali, and that Australian girl go?"

Eric shrugged.

Miss Smith could feel the tears coming. "Everyone else died?"

"We presume so," Kala said. "Either that or they ran away like normal people."