Prologue

"Amber, dear." Mom said as she walked in the game room and saw my brothers and I playing Black Ops 3.

"Yeah?" I replied, not taking my eyes off the screen and continued to kick Aiden's ass in the game.

"I have to talk to you." She said softly. Curious, I passed the controller to Zyljan and stood up, making my way towards Mom who's standing in the doorway.

They paused the game and looked at Mom and I with curiosity burning in their eyes. I know they want to know what Mom is about to say, but kept quiet, since they know what's good for them.

I went outside with her and closed the door behind me. I faced to look at her and saw sadness and fear swirling in her eyes. It's quite hard to decipher though if I'm correct because Mom's great at concealing her emotions.

"What do you want to talk about, Mom?" I asked while leaning against the wall while she just sighed.

"Amber, what I'm about to say is a very hard decision for your father and I to make and I know it's going to be hard for you too—well at least I think so. All I want you to do is just trust us on this one because we want what's best for you, and we want you to be safe." She paused and looked at me in the eye, no doubt seeing the confusion and curiosity plastered on my face.

"Safe? Safe from what?" I asked and she just sighed.

Why does she keep on sighing? Mom sighing is not a good sign.

"I can't tell you as of now, sweetie but for the meantime, I want you to live with your aunt, uncle, and cousins in Canberra." She said softly and I looked at her wide eyed.

"In Australia? You want me to go to Australia? Mom, Detroit and Canberra are far away. You want me to go halfway across the world?" I asked and she just sighed—again.

"Yes, honey. That's what your Dad and I came up with. Like what I said, we want you to be safe and Canberra is the last place they'll think of going. You have to trust us." She explained.

"Wait, they? They who?" I asked and she just shook her head. My curiousness only heightened because of her response. What the hell are they hiding from me?

"We'll tell you when the right time comes. Now, pack your bags, honey. Your flight leaves in three hours." She began to walk away but stopped and looked at me with a smile. "Oh! And Amber, dear? Be sure to bring enough clothes for two years." And with that, she walked away once again, leaving me gobsmacked and mouth hanging open.

Seriously? Two years in Canberra alone? What the hell came up in Mom's mind that she decided to send me halfway across the world?

With a sigh, I went towards my room and closed the door behind me once I was inside. I opened my closet full of clothes and started packing.

Goodbye, Detroit. I'll miss you and I'll see you again in two years. I wonder what awaits me in Canberra. Might be something interesting, might be something that totally sucks. But I'll never know if I won't be there to find it out.