Chapter 6; Playing With Fire Gets Your Fingers Burnt

"When you eliminate the impossible whatever remains however improbable must be the truth."

~ Sherlock Holmes

-

Third Person's P.O.V

-

    Alice knew that she probably shouldn't have laughed but she couldn't help herself.
    "Why are you laughing?" asked Peter, scrunching his face in confusion.
    "That's impossible, Peter Pan doesn't exist. He's just a fictional character from a fairytale. I should know, I've read the book." said Alice.

    "What?" repeated Peter, furrowing his eyebrows.
    "Never mind, I'm probably just dreaming. It wouldn't be the first time." said Alice, dismissing the subject.
    "I can prove that you're not dreaming." said Peter.

    "Sure, knock yourself out," said Alice, rolling her eyes.
    Peter placed a hand on her shoulder, and in a blink of an eye, they were back at the beach. Alice shook her head at him. "This doesn't prove anything," Alice claimed, shaking her head. "I'm a lucid dreamer, I could easily do that on my own."

    He furrowed his eyebrows, confused at her words. "Well then, if you're so smart, how do you suppose I prove to you that you're not dreaming?"

    "Firstly, I should have ten fingers—" She glanced down at her bound hands, counting all ten fingers. "—hmm. That usually works. Well, then I should be able to feel pain."

    "Pinch me," she ordered.

    "Pinch you?" Peter repeated.    

    Alice rolled eyes in annoyance. "Yes, are you deaf?"

    Despite himself, Peter couldn't help but be confused. "Mortals are such strange beings. Very well then."

    "Ow!" exclaimed Alice, her eyes widening when she realised that he was telling the truth and that she wasn't dreaming.

    "Believe me now?" He asked.

    "How— How is that even possible?" stuttered Alice. "This can't be real."

    "Magic." replied Peter, as if that explained everything. "I could always pinch you again if you still don't believe me."

    "No, I believe you, okay? Just—" Alice took a deep breath before speaking again. "Just send me back.

    "With pleasure," he replied, sending the both of them back to the tent and sitting her back down on the cot.

    "No, not back as in back in the tent. Send me home," Alice amended.

    "No."

    Annoyed, the brunette yelled, "What do you want from me?"

    "What makes you think I want anything from you?" asked Peter, shaking his head.
    "Then why am I here?" demanded Alice.
    "You wanted to come here. Don't your remember?"
    "I don't remember giving you consent to kidnap me," Alice snapped.

    "Of course you did, my shadow only visits children who feel lost and unloved." said Peter.
    "I'm not lost or unloved, for that matter, you must have the wrong person."
    "Yes, you are, you just don't know it yet." said Peter, matter-of-factly.
    Alice clenched her teeth in annoyance and tried to stand up, which almost made her fall back down as she stood up too fast.

    "I am not lost or unloved. I have friends, and a family." stated Alice confidently.
    "Some family." Peter scoffed. "A dead mother and a father that's hardly ever around."
    "How did you—" Alice shook her head. "Whatever. That doesn't prove anything."