Chapter 44; Good Form

"We cling to our fairy tales until the price for believing in them becomes too high."

~ Ransom Riggs

-

Alice's P.O.V

-

    "Ouch!" I cry out, placing my finger in my mouth.
    "Are you alright?" Henry ask, turning to face me.
    "I'm fine," I say, yawning as I place the needle and trousers on my lap. "I'm just a bit sleepy."
    I pick the needle back up, resuming with my work. How the boys manage to constantly tear holes in their clothes will aways be a mystery to me. 

    "Don't you want to join them?" I ask, nodding towards Andrew and Jerome who are currently racing each other at the rope climbing course.
    "Yeah! Go, Drew!" cheers the Lost Boys as Andrew overtakes Jerome.
    Henry shakes his head. "No, that's not really my thing."
    "What isn't your thing? Playing with the older boys, or exercising early in the morning?" I tease.

    "Both, I guess," Henry  shrugs, giving me a shy smile.
    I laugh. "I don't blame you, I'd kill Peter if he made me exercise this early in the morning."
    "I can't— Ow!" Henry exclaims abruptly, standing up.
    I turn around to see one of the Lost Boys, Devin, if I'm not mistaken, pointing his spear at Henry. Devin scoffs.

    "So you're the kid Pan's been looking for all this time?" he asks, nudging Henry with the tip of his spear.
    "Ask him," the younger boy replies, stepping out of the older boy's reach. Devin grunts, swiping his spear at Henry.
    Henry jumps back. "Stop it!"
    I place the trousers and needle down, getting ready to intervene.

    Henry's cry catches the older boys' attention, and they stop whatever they're doing to stare.
    "If you can't take this," Devin nudges Henry with the spear. "How are you going to handle what Pan has in store for you?"
    Henry's eyes dart to the ground, looking for any possible weapon he could defend himself with. His eyes fall on stick lying on the ground then darts back up at Devin.

    The older boy nods his head, encouraging Henry to pick the stick up. Henry gulps, bending down to grab the stick. His action causes the other boys to start chattering excitedly among themselves. I watch at the both of them get into position, Devin gets into an offensive stance while Henry gets into a defensive one. As soon as Henry is armed, Devin  makes his move. I get to my feet, my eyes never leaving the young boy.

    Sure, this may be just a playful fight, but you never know when things can start going downhill.
    "Not bad," Peter says as Henry blocks Devin's blow.
    Speaking of going downhill.
    Devin takes a step back placing his spear behind his shoulder. The other boys stop cheering, their attention on  their leader as he pushes himself off the tree.

    "But wouldn't it be more fun if you had real swords?" he suggests, striding towards the duo.
    "Peter!" I chide, shaking my head in disapproval. The brunette silences me with a withering glare.
    "I've never used a real sword," Henry says.
    "This is Neverland," Peter says. "And you have the heart of the truest believer."

    Peter places his left hand on Henry's shoulder. "You can use whatever you want." Peter pauses, guiding the younger boy's dominant arm up with his free hand. "You just need to believe, Henry."
    Devin watches the two of them with a smug look on his face.
    "Close your eyes and believe you're holding a read sword," Peter commands.

    Henry obeys, and the stick turns into a real sword. His eyes widen in surprise when he sees the sword in his hands. Devin takes a step back, nervously looking from Peter to the sword in the Henry's hand.
    "What are you waiting for?" Peter asks. "Go on."
    Henry to charges at Devin, swinging his sword at him. The other boys cheer as Henry does so.