Chapter 16; Detectives For The Day

A/N: A special thanks to BlameItOnSpring for inspiring me to write this chapter. She's been really supportive ❤ xx

___________________________________________

"She loved mysteries so much that she became one."

~ John Green (Paper Towns)

-

Lewis's P.O.V

-

    "Okay," Will says, clapping his hands together. "Where do you wanna start first?"
    "The last place she visited," I say. "The library upstairs."
    "Alright. Let's go," he says, making his way up the winding staircase.
    "Where's the FBI? Shouldn't they be swarming around the crime scene?" I ask, ducking under the yellow-stripped tape, running after him.

      "Have you forgotten? My stepmother gave us a few hours to scout the scene for clues," Will says over his shoulder.
    Oh, that's right, Will's stepmother is a FBI agent. Will's the only one of us who has a let's just say decent relationship with his parents— Well, stepmother to be exact. She spoils him to get on his father's good side.

    "How long do we have?" I ask, catching up with him.
    "We have twenty-four hours," he replies, stopping in front of the two French doors.
    "Well then," I say, placing my hand on the two knobs. "Let's get started, shall we?"
    And doors swing open.

-

Ray's P.O.V (back in Neverland)

-

    "Come on, runt, fight back!" Hunter shouts, punching me in the face, causing me to fall to the ground.
    I wince as he kicks me in the stomach.
    "Kick him harder," Jerome shouts, cheering his brother on.
    And he does. And again, and again, and again. He pulls his leg back, and I brace myself for the painful impact, but it never comes.

    I look up, expecting to see Alice, but it's not her. It's Pan.
    "That's enough, boys," he says, walking up to us. "I'll handle it from here."
    "Yes, Pan," Andrew says obediently, leaving the fighting grounds with the two brothers.

     Pan waits until he's sure that they're gone, then he approaches me.

    "You look like shit."
    A humorless laugh comes out of my throat.
    "Yeah, well, that's your fault," I say, surprising myself at my sudden burst of confidence.
    He glares at me.
    "What are you gonna do? Kill me?" I croak.
    "No," he says. "If I wanted to kill you, you'd already be dead."

    "True," I say as I struggle to get to my feet.
    "This is just a reminder of what I told you yesterday," Pan says, stopping a few meters away from me.
    I spit on the ground. "Why are you doing this? What did I ever do to you?"
    "You talked to Alice."
    "So?" I ask.

      "So, you're lucky that Alice is so hopelessly oblivious to other people's feelings," Pan says, emphasizing on the word "so".
    I cock my head to the side, confused.
    "You're in love with Alice," he states. "You, fancy her."
    I open my mouth to object but he interrupts me.

    "Don't deny it, you know it's true, you just don't want to admit it," he says.
    That's not true, I want to say. But I hold my tongue. Pan's right. He's always right.
    Instead I shake my head, feigning that I don't understand him.
    He takes a few steps towards me. "Don't bother lying, I can read you like an open book."