Chapter 59; One Last Lesson

"There is always some madness in love. But there is always some reason in madness."

~ Friedrich Nietzsche

-

Peter's P.O.V

-

    I smile as I rake my hand through Alice's soft hair. I've lost track of the amout of time we've spent kissing each other. My legs are intwined with hers and her right hand is laced with my left one. Only then do I realize the emptiness in my chest and a missing aura in my life. Malcolm. He's dead. They killed my grandfather. Alice smiles and I realize that I've been staring at her.

    My heart demands that I give up this life of hate and revenge while my head tells me to kill everyone who threatens Alice's safety. I have to carry on with my plan. I won't let Felix's death be in vain. One look at Alice tells me to come to my senses, I can't disappoint her again.
    "Peter?"

    Her soft voice brings me back to reality, a gentle reminder that I'm not alone in this awful world. I shake my head, clearing my head from dangerous thoughts. "Yes, love?"
    "You blanked out," she tells me. "Where were you?"
    "With Felix."
    She props herself up with her elbows. "Do you wanna talk about it?"

    "Did you know Malcolm is dead?" I ask, changing the subject.
    A look of horror washes over her.
    "I didn't kill him," I assure her. "They did. And I want to see their blood on the streets because of that."
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, Peter," she says. "Revenge isn't the answer. It never is. It consumed you the last time you went down that dark path."

    "I needed the strength of Malcolm and Felix to keep me from going on a killing spree to get back at my enemies, but I don't have the strength to resist my bloodthirsty urges now that they're gone."
    Alice remains silent, listening to what I have to say.
    "Malcolm died by their hand, and Felix's death would be in pointless if I don't carry on with this plan," I say.

    She takes my hand in hers. "You don't have to go through with this, Peter."
    "But I do," I say. "They killed my family."
    Alice brings my hand to her lips and kisses my knuckles. "Cassie and I will be your family now."
    "Alice, I love you," I tell her for the thousandth time. "I'll try to be a better person for you."

    "But that day is not today."
    I wave my hand over her head, causing her to pass out. She goes limp in my arms and I gently place her on the bed. I sit beside her, caressing her cheek. "I'm doing this for us. We can never have a future together if they're still alive and breathing."
    As if on cue, my father walks into the room.

    His eyes dart to Alice. "She isn't-"
    "She's not dead. Just unconscious." I roll my eyes. "Honestly, she's my soul mate why would I hurt her? And even if she wasn't, why would I go through all that trouble to keep her safe just to kill her?"
    "Because you're unpredictable," he says. "That's why you need to be put down. But Alice begged me to trap you in Pandora's Box instead."

    "So that's what the cuff's really for? To make sure that I won't be able to fight back?"
    "I wanted to talk to you," he says, taking a step forward. "I want to be the last person who you see before you're gone."
    "How touching," I say, sarcastically. "What do you want to talk about, huh? How you killed my mother in cold blood?

    "How you banished me here for a stupid prophecy? How you torn me away from my homeland and banished me on barren island? How you expected and hoped that Malcolm wasn't still on the island to guide me?" I ask. "You've ruined my life and your father's. Can't I be free of you?"
    "Oh, you will be." He pauses, picking up the sword that was lying on the table next to him. "In death."