Chapter 9; Home Is Where The Wi-Fi Connects Best

"We don't call it homesick. We call it missing home. There's not a sickness involved, it's a state of mind."

~ John Litten

-

Third Person's P.O.V

-

    "Tell me, is there anyway off this wretched island?" asked Alice with her eyes on the ground.
    "Nope." replied Ray. "You can't leave the island, not without Pan's permission."
    Alice sat on a fallen log, using a stick to draw shapes in the rich, brown soil.
    "Have anyone ever left the Neverland without Peter's consent?" asked Alice.

    "No." said Ray. "Not that I know of."
    Well, that crosses out that idea, thought Alice, sighing as she dropped the stick.
    "Where do you guys sleep at night?" asked Alice, attempting to change the subject.
    "In tents." replied Ray. "We're all required to share a tent with another lost boy."

    "I hope I don't have to abide by that rule." said Alice.
    "You don't." answered Peter. Alice almost jumped at his arrival.
    "I had a tent made for you prior to your arrival." he explained.

    Then why didn't you let me sleep alone last night? Alice wanted to ask, but she held her tongue.

    "Not enjoying the celebration, Alice?" asked Peter, kneeling down next to the her.

    "I'm not overly fond of parties." said Alice, looking at the ground. "What's there to celebrate anyway?"

    "Why, your arrival of course." replied Peter, as-a-matter-of-factly.
    "Why?" asked Alice, looking up at him. "I'm nothing special."
    "Trust me, Alice." said Peter, placing his hand on her shoulder. "You're more special than you think you are."

    Alice furrowed her eyebrows and turned to face Ray, giving him a look that said, "what's that supposed to mean?"
    He just shrugged and shook his head as if he were saying, "beats me, why don't you ask him yourself?"
    "Leave us," ordered Peter, looking at Ray.
    And Ray walked off without another word.

    "Do you know any good songs?" Peter asked abruptly.
    "What?" asked Alice, slightly taken aback.
    "I said, 'Do you know any good songs?'." he repeated.
    "Are you joking?" asked Alice. "You ordered Ray to leave just so you could ask me if I knew any good songs?"
    "Just answer the question, Alice." demanded Peter.

    Alice rolled her eyes. "Yes, I do know some good songs. Why?"
    "Good." answered Peter, grabbing Alice by her upper arm. "Because you're gonna be singing at the bonfire."
    "Wait— what?" exclaimed Alice.
    "Gather round, boys!" shouted Peter, walking towards the huge bonfire with Alice in tow. "You're all in for a treat."

    "What makes you think I can sing?" asked Alice, jerking her arm out of Peter's grip.
    "I have my ways." said Peter as if that simple sentence explained everything.
    "Even if I could sing, which I can't by the way, I don't even have a guitar." protested Alice, hoping that he'd change his mind.

    Peter then held his right hand up and waved it over Alice. "Now you do."
    Alice looked down and saw that she was holding an acoustic guitar in her hand. The body of the guitar had a light, caramel brown hue and its strings were transparent.

    Alice stared at the guitar in her hand in awe. "How...?"
    "Magic," replied Peter, smirking.
    "Don't be smug," said Felix as he approached them.
    "What?" asked Peter, feigning innocence.
    Felix rolled his eyes and sat down on the nearest log, setting his mace down beside him.