Chapter 55; The Missing Children

"The world is a mess and I want to laugh because all I can think is how horrible and beautiful it is."

~ Tahereh Mafi, Ignite me

-

Peter's P.O.V (A few hours before)

-

    "Lights out, young man."
    I turn away from the window, seeing Regina by the door.
    "Mom," I say, making my way towards her. "Your vault. Did you bring that over with you?"
    I sit down on the bed as she steps into the room.
    Regina smiles, pushing Henry's storybrook away from the edge of the bed. "Yes, Henry, you know that."

    "With all your magic?" I ask.
    Regina crosses her arms. "Why are you asking all these questions?"
    "Because... I might need that stuff to protect myself from Pan," I lie.
    "Oh, honey, he can't hurt you," she assures me. "He's locked up in Gold's shop."
    "But what if he gets out?" I ask. "What if- What if he finds a way to come after me again?"

    Regina sits down beside me. "Magic isn't the answer," she tells me, closing Henry's storybook. "My vault is sealed shut for a reason. It's dangerous."
    She taps me on the nose. "I'll protect you, no matter what."
    Regina smiles, putting the storybrook aside. She picks up Henry's pillow, placing beside the bedframe. "Now, it's time for you to go to bed."

    I nod, crawling under the covers. Regina pulls the thick quilt up to my shoulders and kisses me on the cheek. "Goodnight."
    I wait until she leaves the room to climb out of bed, throwing the covers off. I make my way to the window, pushing the curtains aside. I unlock the deadbolt, sticking my head out to the window to get a better view of the small town.

    "She's wrong," I say to no one in particular. "Magic is the answer."
    I look towards the harbor, gathering up whatever little magic I have left in me. "It's time."
    I feel a bit of my magic leave me as I utter those words, releasing my grandfather from his little prison. I smirk as I see him fly towards the me.

    "Thank you, Peter," he says, hovering next to the window.
    I smile at my grandfather. "Anytime, Malcolm."
    "Now, I'm not complaining or anything, but to what do I owe the pleasure of seeing my favorite grandson?"
    "I'd like you to do something for me if you don't mind."
    "And what would that be, Peter?"

    "I'd like you to help me make some people disappear," I say.
    "How many?" he asks.
    "Two."
    "What are their names?" he asks me.
    "Jared," I say. "Jared and The Blue Fairy."
    "Jared?" he repeats. "Isn't he one of yours?"

    I clench my fists. "Jared was the Lost Boy who told The Savior where I was."
    "Weren't there two Lost Boys whom betrayed you?"
    I grit my teeth. "I was only awear of one of them."
    "It doesn't really matter," Malcolm says, attempting to calm me down.

    I close my eyes, taking a deep breath. I'm greatful for the man -well, shadow- in front of me. Malcolm was there for me when no one else was. He was the father I never had, seeing that my own father abandoned me.
    "I love you, Peter."
    I open my eyes, looking up at my grandfather. "I know. You're the only one who does."
    "That's not true," he says.

    "It is."
    "What about Alice?"
    "She hates me for leaving her," I say. "She thinks I gave her up for magic."
    "Cassie?"
    "He thinks I abandoned him, that I'm a coward like my father," I say, spitting the word out like poison.
    "You don't know that." Malcolm says.