Chapter 40; The Heart Of The Truest Believer

"Those who dance are considered insane by those who cannot hear the music."

~ George Carlin

-

Peter's P.O.V

-

    "Have you done it yet?"
    I use the blade of my knife to shapen my machete. "Yes, I just did."
    "How much did poppy powder did you put in her food?"
    "Enough to keep her asleep for us to carry on with our plan," I say, dragging the blade down. "I also assigned Hunter to watch over her and charmed the tree house so I'll be notified when she wakes up."

    Felix whistles a low note. "That's a lot of precautions."

    "Well, you know me, I always have a back-up plan."
    Felix scoffs. "That's an understatement. Even your back-up plans have their own back-up plans."
    "There's a reason why I never fail."
    "Are you sure that your excessive precautions will keep Alice at bay?" Felix asks.

    "No," I say, shaking my head. "That girl always manages to find a way."
    "You might as well handcuff her to the bed," Felix says.
    I look up. "That's actually not a bad idea."
    "Jeez, I was just joking. I didn't think that you'd actually consider that."
    "What?" I ask. "I was just stating that it wasn't a bad idea."
    "How do you think Alice does it?"

    "Whenever you give her a challenge or an obstacle, she always manages to find a way to beat you at your own game."
    "I honestly don't know how she does it," I say. "But I do know that she'll be the death of me."
    Felix chuckles. "You can say that again. It's so weird."
    "What is?" I ask.
    "You and Alice." he replies.

    "The two of you are practically polar opposites, but I guess it true what they say about opposites, they attract," Felix says. "Instead of repelling her like you repelled Wendy, you're attracting her like flies to honey."
    "Alice is nothing like Wendy," I say darkly. "Wendy was weak, she didn't have a fire like Alice."

    Felix nods. "She was so scared of the boys, it was pathetic."
    "I still can't believe how gullible she was to trust the shadow," I say.
    "Yeah, she singlehandedly tore her family apart by doing so."
    "She never ceases to amaze me with her stupidity," I say. "Remember that time when she-"
    I stop mid-sentence, feeling a presence on the island.

    Felix places his hand on my shoulder. "Pan?"
    I standing up, smirking. "Our guests have arrived."

Felix grabs his mace. "I'll alert the boys."

    "Do they remember the plan?" I ask.
    "Yes, they have it memorized."
    "Good. I'll have my shadow accompany you in case anything happens."

    "Alright, but what's the purpose of your shadow accompanying me again?" Felix asks, standing up.
    "I'll be able to focus on my part if I know that you're in good hands," I say. "The shadow will make sure that you're safe when I can't be there."
    "Careful now," Felix warns. "You know what Alice would say if she were here."
    I sigh. "Don't remind me."

    Felix whistles, signaling for the Lost Boys to get into their groups. I spot most of my Lost Boys in the crowd, the only boys who are missing are Lewis, Ray, Will and the younger boys. I've decided to keep those boys in the dark, just like with Alice.
    "I'll see you later," I say. "Don't screw up!"