Chapter 24; Real Or Not Real?

"And in the end, we're all just humans... Drunk on the idea that love, only love, could heal our brokenness.

~ F. Scott Fitzgerald

-

Peter's P.O.V

-

    "How's The Game going?" Felix asks. "Is Alice winning it too?"
    "Haha," I say sarcastically. "Very funny, Felix."
    Felix has been taunting me ever since he found out that Alice had beaten me in "Hide And Seek".
    "Let's just count the times Alice has managed to beat you," Felix says, grinning. "Dueling. Hand To Hand Combat. Knife Throwing—"

    "Shut up, Felix," I say, playfully shoving him to the side.
    He stumbles but laughs, swinging his mace over his shoulder as we walk down the path. "I can't believe she managed to beat you in "Hide And Seek". You're getting soft."
    "Are you going to be like this the entire night?" I ask.

    "Yes. Don't worry, you only have a couple more hours until our patrols are up."
    I roll my eyes. "Oh joy."
    "Okay, all jokes aside, how's The Game going?" Felix asks.
    "It's only a matter of time until I win," I say confidently.
    "If all goes well, we can check immortality off the list. But what about power?" Felix asks.

    "The Truest Believer will solve that problem, we just need to wait until he gets here," I say.
    "Good," Felix says. The silence that follows is deafening.
    "Okay, that's it," I say, stopping in my tracks. I turn to face him. "What aren't you telling me?"
    "What makes you think I have anything to tell you?" Felix asks, refusing to make eye contact with me.

    That confirms my suspicion.
    "You aren't looking at me in the eye when we talk," I state. "And your body language screams anxiety."
    Felix scratches his neck with his free hand. "I was hoping to keep this burden from you a bit longer."
    "What do you mean?" I ask. "What burden?"

    He sighs and shakes his head. "Alice's friend, Will, is close to cracking the code that'll bring the two boys to Neverland."
    "That can't be. It's way too hard to solve," I say.
    "The boy, Will, proves to be smarter than we expected him to be," Felix says. "He's just one step away from figuring out the message behind the book."

    I clench my fists in frustration, but can't help at being slightly impressed that he managed to get so close to cracking the code. I underestimated him.
    "That boy is beginning to get on my nerves," I say, gritting my teeth.
    "But you've gotta admit," Felix says. "He would make a brilliant Lost Boy."
    "Not helping, Felix."

    "Sorry. But you can't deny that it's true," he says.
    "Believe me, I know," I say, looking up at the night sky. "I've been wanting to recruit him ever since Alice told me about him, but she's made it clear to me that I'm not allowed to bring him to Neverland."

    "What if we let the boy solve the code?" Felix suggests. "You aren't technically bringing him to the island that way. He'll be coming here on this own."
    I nod my head. "That's a good idea. What would I do without you, Felix?"
    He smirks.
    I point my forefinger at him. "Don't answer that."

    "I don't need to," he says, his smirk widening. "You already know the answer to that."
    I shove him. Again. "Oh, shut up."
    Felix laughs. "Fine. Come on, let's just finish our tour and go back to our chambers. I'm sure that you're just dying to get back to Alice."
    "Not funny," I say.
    "It is to me," he says, walking past me.

    "I can't believe I managed to tolerate that guy for centuries," I mutter, following him down the path.

-