Chapter 17; Combat Training & Petty Fights

"Kids are still depressed when you dress them up."

~ Melanie Martinez

-

A/N: I'm sorry in advance for how terrible and boring this chapter is going to be. It's barely edited.

-

Alice's P.O.V

-

    I moan as Peter pushes me to the ground.

    Peter extends his hand to help me up. "4/4, we're tied."
    I push his hand away and stand up on my own. "I thought you said that we were playing best of three, not best of ten."
    "Yeah, well, I changed the game," Peter says, taking a few steps back.
    "You mean you changed the game when you realised that I was winning," I say.

    Peter's idea of detracting me from Lewis's death is to have longer training sessions with me (But it obviously, it isn't working) We've been training for three hours now. And the new "game" is hand combat. I've been observing his tactics, and created one of my own. One that I know will help me beat him.

    "Basically. That's why I'm undefeated."
    I roll my eyes.
    "Is the game still best of ten?" I ask.
    He nods, and the game resumes.
    We circle each other. My hands are up, protecting my face and ribs from his blows.
    Peter makes the first move. He always does. He advances towards me and throws his weight into a punch.

    He lunges forward, I duck, thrusting my fist into his abdomen. He stumbles a few steps back. I unclench my hand and shake it a few times. Ow. I must've hit his abs. I clench my hands again, regaining my stance. I take a few small steps forward, my hands raised, near my head. Peter runs towards me like he's trying to tackle me.

    I dart out of the way in the very last second. I block his next punch with my forearm. The blow stings, but with all the adrenaline in my vains, I barely notice it. He punches my side, making me gasp for air, and I take a few steps back. A group of Lost Boys have crowded around us by now, watching our every move in anticipation.

    That's a good thing. If the Lost Boys are there, Peter will be more focused on looking good in front of them instead of fighting me. His hands are up too high; guarding his face, I notice that he's not protecting his chest. I don't wait for him to make the first move this time. I raise my leg and kick him in the chest. And he falls to the ground with a thud.

    "5/4, who's undefeated now?" I taunt.
    I hear the satisfying roar of the Lost Boys cheering. I'm the first person to best Peter, I've gained their respect in less than one week. Well, all the boys save the Bloodlust Trio. Those boys will never respect anyone, other than Peter of course.

    I spot Ray in the crowd, clapping and cheering. I smile, and he smiles back. Even Felix is clapping. After a few seconds I look back down at Peter, who's still on the ground. Peter smirks like he knows something I don't.
    "What—" I begin, but he cuts me off by sweeping his feet under my legs.

    And I fall, landing right on top of him.

    I place my forearms on Peter's chest to prop myself up. My hair flys in the small breeze, covering my right eye, my hair tie must've snapped during my fight with Peter. For some reason Peter decides to tuck my hair behind my ear.

    The Boys have stopped cheering, no doubt they're staring at Peter and I.
    "Consider this a win-win situation," Peter says, chuckling.
    I groan, rolling off him so that I'm lying flat on the ground.
    "You planned this, didn't you?" I ask, turning my head so I'd face him. "You knew that I'd do that."