Chapter 20; I Challenge Thee To A Game Of Hide & Seek

"Change is a challenge, which both excites the soul, and frightens the body."

~ A.M.L

-

Alice's P.O.V

-

    "So you pull your arm back and-"
    "You don't have to tell me that," I interrupt. "I know how to throw a knife."
    "I know," he says. "But I'd prefer—"
    "Just let me throw the bloody knife," I snap.
    "Alright, alright," he says.
    Finally. I was beginning to think that he wouldn't shut up.

    "If you would just—"
    "I swear on the river styx, I'll knee you down south if you don't stop talking," I threaten.
    Now that definitely made him shut up.
    "Stop breathing down my neck," I say, tightening my grip on the hilt.
    "It's not my fault you're so short," he says.

    I glare at him. "Mind taking a few steps back?"
    "You know, most girls would swoon if I was this close to them," he says.
    "It may have escaped your notice but I'm not like most girls." I state.
    He laughs, and I can feel his chest vibrate due to our close proximity. "You can say that again."

    I see him take a few steps back in my peripheral vision. When I'm sure that he's out of my range, I get into a throwing stance. I bring my hand back, focusing on the target which is situated a few meters in front of me. Then, I thrust my hand forward, releasing the knife as I do so.

    The knife slices through the air and impales itself into the target board with a thunk. In one swift movement, I bring my hand back again and reach for a second knife. I grab the knife by the hilt and unshealth it from its leather holster. I repeat my previous action and throw the knife towards the target board. It lands a centimeter away from the first knife.

    Repeating the action again, I bring my hand back and reach for another knife. Then, with the knife in my hand, I thrust it foward, getting the same results.

    "Oh! Who just hit three bullseye on their first try?" I exclaim, smirking at Peter.
    He rolls his eyes. "You're being immature."
    "You're just sayin' that cause' you, were wrong," I say.
    "Let me guess," Peter says, walking towards me. "Will taught you how to throw knives too?"

    "Yup," I say popping the "P".

    Peter whistles. "Now that's Lost Boy material."
    "He will not be coming to Neverland," I say.
    "But he's the perfect Lost Boy," Peter protests. "He knows how to throw knives, use a bow, and he knows the art of fencing."

    "He will not be coming to this island and that's final," I say with authority in my voice.

    "But—"
    "Are you gonna whine all day, or are we gonna train?" I ask, crossing my arms.
    "We're going to train, of course."
    "Then train we shall," I say, speaking like Yoda.

    Then, after a second he adds, "I don't whine."
    "Whatever you say," I mutter.

****

    "I think it's time for a break," Peter announces.
    I slump against him the second he says the word "break".
    "Well someone's exhausted," Peter says, catching me in his arms.
    I scoff. "No shit, Sherlock."
    Peter scrunches his face, confused. "What?"
    "Never mind..."