Chapter 18; As Sherlock Holmes Always Says, "The Game Is On"

"She read about people she could never be and adventures she could never have."

~ Unknown

-

Alice's P.O.V

-

    My punishment for yesterday's stunt is for me to be confined to Peter's quarters for the day. Felix is in charge of looking after me. I have to admit this punishment isn't so bad, seeing as there's a library in his tree house. Even though Peter's the one at fault, I'm the one who's being punished. Well, that's kinda my fault for slapping him.

    But in my defence, he was being an jerk. Any sane person wouldn't know it wasn't right to bring up a death of a loved one (or fictional character) like that. Although I'm the one who's being punished, looks like Felix is the one who's being punished instead. As he looks bored out of his mind. He's sitting on the loveseat next to the door with his mace beside him.

    I shake my head, I can live with being locked in a room full of books. But I can't live with Felix being my babysitter, or "sentinel" as Peter so kindly stated. I walk around room browsing through the different bookshelves. I look at the different titles, recalling the ending of the stories in my mind.

    The guy dies in the end.

    The girl runs away.

    The girl is in love with her brother but it turns out that he wasn't her biological brother and real brother is in love with her.

    Finally I find a book that catches my eye. I carefully take the book out of the shelf and open the leather cover to read the first page. I make my way back to the couch and plop onto it with the book in my hand.

****

    "I'm surprised that you haven't made any attempt to escape yet," Felix says, breaking the comfortable silence between us.
    I look up from my book. "What makes you think I'm not planning to escape when you let your guard down?"
    "Cause' you're way too smart to do something as simple as that," he says.

   "You don't know anything about me."
   "I beg to differ," Felix says.
    I roll my eyes. "Prove it."
   "Okay," he begins. "Your mother died when you were a young, your best friends are Lewis Miller and Will Robertson, your father sent you off to boarding school when—"
      "You can stop now," I interrupt. "I believe you."

    I look at the book in my hands then back at Felix.
    "How long am I supposed to stay here?" I ask.
    "Until the Lost Boys are finished with their training," he says. "Which will be in a couple hours."

    A couple hours. I have a couple hours to come up with a plan to get Peter to take me home. But what could I say to get him to do so? Wait! I've got it! I'll challenge him to a game. Knowing Peter, he'll never be able to resist it. But what should the challenge be?
    I sigh. Oh well, I have few hours to think of something.

-

Will's P.O.V (Back in England)

-

    "Found anything yet?" Lewis asks.
   "Nope," I say, not looking up from my book. "Just that Disney's got it all wrong and that Peter Pan is a psychotic demon boy who should be locked up in an asylum."
    "So in other words, nothing?" he asks. I can see him approaching me in my peripheral vision.

    I sit up on the couch, hoping to find a more comfortable position. Don't you hate it when you need to find a comfortable position to read every five minutes?
    "Yup," I say, popping the "P".
    "But don't worry," I assure him. "I'm sure I'll— we'll find something when I finish reading this book."