Chapter 16.

"Jessica. What happened on Friday? I tried reaching you all weekend with no answer. I was so worried." Macy said to me when I met her in the hallway.

I'd spent the entire weekend with Harry. My phone had stayed plugged in on his night stand apart from the phone calls to the hospital to check on my mom. I grimaced, feeling guilty for kind of shutting her out. I told her everything before class started and we promised to have some girl time tonight after school.

The day was going alright up until lunch. Trent approached our table and asked to talk to me alone. When I refused he made a scene. Maybe I should have just talked to him. I didn't have to listen to anything he said. I could just pretend.

"Jessica Sinclair, you're a whore! I know you have a thing going on with that Doctor. I'll prove it to everyone. Just wait." Trent yelled and stormed out of the cafeteria.

Everyone stared at me and I wanted to melt into the floor. Even the other girls at my table were giving me weird looks. Macy's face was sympathetic and Heather half smiled at me. Sarah watched Trent stalk out the cafeteria doors and I couldn't quite decipher her expression.

I left after that, spending the rest of my lunch period in the restrooms. Macy had tried to come with me but I urged her to finish her lunch with the rest of the girls. My stomach churned and I sent a text to Harry.

"We might have another problem. I'll tell you tonight if I can come over."

Harry texted me back a few minutes later. I smiled when I seen his name show up on my screen. I really needed to get a snap of him for his contact picture.

"I get off at 5:30 but come over whenever. The key is still in the same place. I love you. -H"

It seemed like time went by as slow as a snail, the few hours feeling like a few weeks. People in my classes stared at me as I entered and whispered about me as I left. I ignored them because I knew they would be jealous of me if they actually knew what was going on. I was lucky to have a man like Harry in my life.

I was sitting on Harry's recliner chair, leaning back and trying to distract myself in the quietness when he walked inside a little after 5:30.

"I tried to hurry. How long have you been here?" Harry asked, dropping his medical bag by the door and toeing off his shoes.

"Just got here a few minutes ago," I said, "Macy came over after school."

"Come here." Harry said.

Harry held his arms open as I made my way towards him. He embraced me, squeezing tight, and I rested my my head on his chest. His warmth seeped into me, taking some of my stress away. I rubbed his back as he hugged me and figured he had to be tired from work.

"I love you." I said.

"Love you, too."

I untangled from Harry and held him by the arms, looking up at him. He tilted his head down for a kiss and I smiled against his mouth.

"Sit down. I'll make you something for dinner." I said.

"You don't need to do that for me." Harry said. "I've got to get these work clothes off." He started towards his stairs.

"Macy and I ate dinner at my house. Let me make you something."

Harry was almost on the second stair. "Okay,"