Chapter 18.

"Who were you talking to on the phone before we went to bed?" Heather asked.

I saw Macy glance at me from across the table but she didn't say anything. She already had a good idea who it was and she was right. Harry had sounded so different and I'd worried about him a lot. It was kind of irrational because he was a grown man who could take care of himself but the worry was still there. I loved him more than I could put into words and I'd gotten used to spending most of my time with him.

"It was just my mom's friend wondering how she's doing."

"That late?" Sarah asked.

"Yeah, I guess."

"How is she, anyways? Your mom, I mean." Macy said.

I grimaced. She hadn't made very much progress since I'd been visiting her. The pills had really damaged her internal organs. I was hoping she would get better soon for her sake and for mine.

"She's doing alright, kind of."

After we'd finished breakfast I excused myself to leave with the excuse that I needed to get some things done around the house. I hated the lies I had to tell all the time but it was for Harry and I. Macy was the only one I trusted with information about us and there were way too many other ears listening in.

I drove home, showered and redressed. It felt sort of strange to shower in my own house and I missed the strawberry fields shower set that I always used at Harry's house. I was about to call him when my phone rang in my hand. An unknown number showed up on my screen.

"Hello,"

"Jessica, it's me. Please hear me out. Don't hang up, okay?" My dad said.

I stayed silent.

"If your mom doesn't get released from the hospital in the next few days, I'm filing for full custody of you."

"Dad, you can't do this. Mom will be out in time and, for now, I'm doing just fine."

"You're still in high school. You need a parent figure in your life. People your age make bad decisions."

"I'm mature and can take care of myself. I'm not a little kid anymore, dad."

"I'm not joking, Jessica. I'll be checking in and I will get full custody of you if your mom doesn't come home soon."

"You really can't." I was defensive now, my voice cold as ice. "Mom pressed charges against you."

"She dropped them." He said and hung up the phone.

I called Harry after that and he told me I could come over to his place. I drove there with shaking hands. Harry was waiting for me inside with his front door open.

"Harry," I murmured into his chest when he hugged me.

He shut the door behind us and I sat down next to him on the couch. His arm snaked out to wrap around me and I leaned into him. He had on a plain white T-shirt and navy sweat pants. I'd never seen him dressed this way before but he still looked good. He had the kind of body that anything would look good on.

"What's bothering you, babe?" He asked,

I tilted my head up for a kiss before answering. I explained to him how my dad called and what he had said to me.

"Everything will be okay, I promise."

"What if he actually goes through with this, Harry? I'll have to live with him if he gets full custody. I'm pretty sure he doesn't even live in town. I wouldn't be able to see you as much. What if I couldn't see you at all?"