Chapter 21.

The pain hadn't subsided, only intensified the longer I went without seeing Harry. I had to try to act somewhat normal at school so I wouldn't get any questions but it was hard. People still asked and I tried my best to avoid the questions. Whenever someone would bring something up about doctors or love lives I would have to try focusing on breathing.

It was terrible to say the least. Heart break was eating at me, destroying me from the inside out. I never knew someone's heart could cause so much pain, that lost love could have such an effect. It was like Harry was a forbidden song for me to sing and maybe I was the lyrics to his yearning heart. I wasn't really sure he still wanted me. Maybe his heart was just fine. Although we might crave a deep love with each other, together we were just a melody that wouldn't work. At least for the moment.

I knew it wasn't Harry's intention to hurt me, to cause me this much pain. He seemed sincere and I believed him but his words cut into me deep, causing raw, burning wounds. Was he feeling the same? Regretting his decision?

I'd had a long phone conversation with Macy on Sunday and she tried her best to cheer me up, even bringing me my favorite ice cream and some action movies. She'd suggested Nicholas Sparks movies but happy couples on the big screen weren't going to make things any better for me.

"So, guess what?" Heather started as we all sat at the lunch table on Tuesday.

I picked at the square shaped pizza on my tray, not really in the mood to eat. I still hadn't gained my appetite back. If I didn't start having regular meals soon, people would notice a weight loss.

After everyone asked for Heather to go on, she started off on a long story, using hand gestures, fast talking, and all. "Yesterday when I went to a doctor's appointment with my mom, I seen that really hot new doctor."

My heart skipped a beat and thudded in my chest in an irregular pattern.

"He's so tall and has these amazing green eyes." She continued. "He smiled at me and I think he winked. Imagine getting with him. How hot would it be to have an affair with a doctor? Maybe I should accidentally get the flu." She fake coughed and whole table laughed.

I stood up, grabbing my tray of food, and stormed towards the trash cans. I couldn't just sit around and listen to people talk about Harry in that way. I knew better than anyone how hot he was, but he was so much more. They seen him as a sexy doctor with nice legs and nothing more. They didn't know that he was sweet and charming and one of the most genuine people to exist. They didn't know how much I was missing him right now, how much I needed him.

People stared at me. I felt they're eyes on me as I dumped my food into the trash and stalked out of the cafeteria. Why couldn't I be eighteen and graduated from high school already? That would solve everything. I could be free to be with Harry and wouldn't have my dad trying to gain custody of me.

~

"Ms. Sinclair, do you feel you're able to take care of yourself while your mother is hospitalized?" Judge Bronson asked.

"Yes, ma'am. I've been doing it for around a month. I'm soon to be eighteen in March."

She nodded, looking over some paperwork on her desk. I was more nervous than ever. My dad stood next to me, still as a statue. He didn't look at me and that was a wise decision. He knew I wasn't happy with him and this whole situation.

"And you don't want to stay with your father?"

"No, ma'am. Please don't make me." I went on to explain about how I had my mom's card that was connected to her savings account to take care of the house bills and food.

"You're seventeen and in high school, Jessica. You can't live on your own." My dad's voice was harsh. "Last week I was over at the house four or five times and you were never there. Where do you go after school?"

"I have friends." I said. My heart strings pulled at that half truth. I did have friends but they weren't why I had been gone. I was more than likely at Harry's house every time he had came over.

The judge continued looking over the paperwork in front of her, pursing her lips. Could she just hurry up? My nerves were going to be the death of me if I didn't get a decision from her soon.

"It seems like Jessica's mother isn't chronically ill and she'll be out in time. During the time that she's still hospitalized I'll just suggest you check up on Jessica once in a while, make sure she's staying on track. She's almost an adult, Mr. Sinclair, and it looks like she's been doing well on her own so far. It's good practice for her future. She'll know what to expect when she lives on her own."

My dad stormed off, exiting the court room. The judge raised her eyebrows at me.

"He's always like that. He overreacts and has anger problems. Thank you for not making me stay with him."

She nodded her head. "Ms. Sinclair. Can I ask you something."

"Sure,"

"I was speaking to some police officer friends of mine in here a few days ago and they said something that caught my attention."

"Okay," I was confused on where she was going with this.

"They said that Dr. Styles, you know the new doctor that took over for Dr. Griffith, was having an affair with a student at River Mount High. You go there, right?"

My mouth became as dry as a cotton field. My stomach twisted and I thought I was going to puke if I opened my mouth to speak. I took a deep breath before I could manage to answer. "Yes, I do."

"You wouldn't happen to have any idea who the student is, do you? Don't worry, it would be put in as an anonymous tip."

"I really have no idea." I said, staring down at my shoes. "What happens if you find out who it is?"

"Dr. Styles will go down for it. He'll lose his job because it's against the law for him to see someone underage in a romantic way. A doctor, or anyone else of age, can't be breaking any laws like that. He took an oath. Jessica, please know that this is only a theory, it's roots only coming from an anonymous tip. It could be totally fabricated. The only way he can actually get in trouble is if the underage student admits to a relationship with him and has proof."

"Oh, well I haven't heard any rumors. I should really get going now. I have to get to school."

"Of course,"

I couldn't keep the smile off of my face on the way to school. Harry couldn't get in any trouble unless someone admitted to a relationship with him and had proof. I was the only one who could do that and I wouldn't dream of it. Even if Trent told the police about Harry and I, he didn't have proof. It would just be a rumor with no proof to back it up.

The rest of the school day dragged on crazy slow. At lunch, I wanted to punch Heather for gushing about Harry again. This time it wasn't because I was heartbroken over him. I mean, the pain was still there but I knew it would get better now. It had to. I wanted to knock her out and tell her Harry was mine.

After school I would call him and tell him the great news. I knew he would be as excited as me. We could be together again. I missed his hugs and kisses, missed his arms being around me, missed his voice and the way he talked to me. I couldn't wait to see the excitement in his wide green eyes or for the feel of his arms around me when I got to hug for the first time in days.

I would just have to bite my tongue when it came to heather. There was no way she could know about Harry and I so it obviously wasn't intentional. I met Macy after the bell rang and told her everything. She squealed with joy and we hugged each other. I was more than glad this pain would be ending.

Once I was home, I started to call Harry right away but remembered that he wouldn't be home from work until almost six. I made myself some dinner and waited impatiently, flipping through the boring shows on the tv.

I waited until six to call Harry, making sure he would be off work. It felt like the few hours of waiting had lasted days. I dialed his number with quick fingers, the number embedded in my memory for good. Butterflies flapped their wings in my stomach as I held my phone up to my ear.

(((Thanks for the reads and everything!! If you're liking this, please vote)))