Chapter 19.

Harry:

"Dr. Styles?" A deep male voice asked from behind me.

What was someone doing in my lab at this time in the morning? Patients weren't even allowed back here. Cara and I and nurse practitioners were the only ones authorized to be in the room. I turned around and found a cop standing in the door way.

"Yes, officer? Anything in particular that you need?"

"I'm officer Wilson, and if you don't mind, I need you to come down to the station for a few questions."

"May I ask what about?"

A sick feeling settled into my gut. I had a feeling that I already knew what it would be about. I didn't like lying, especially to the police, but if it was about Jess and I, I wouldn't have another choice.

"I'll let you know when we get there. It's just a few questions, nothing to worry about. You're a doctor, a smart guy. You wouldn't do anything to put your job in jeopardy, would you?"

"Of course not, officer."

It was definitely about Jess and I. I just knew it.

"Good then, just come with me. It shouldn't take more than thirty minutes."

"Cara, can you cover my appointments for me? I'll be back directly. I just have to take care of something."

"Yeah, not a problem,"

I followed the cop out of my office and climbed into the front seat of his car. I'd never been in a police car before and it felt strange. The drive to the station was quiet, the atmosphere in the car tense. When we arrived, I followed him into the tall building and up to a small room on the second floor. My stethoscope still hung around my neck.

Officer Wilson shut the steel door behind us and motioned me to sit in the chair in front of a wooden rectangle table. He sat on the other side, directly across from me. Being in this room made me feel like a criminal and loving Jess wasn't a crime. Age was just a number but the law didn't see it that way.

"We got an anonymous tip," the officer started off, "that you have been seeing a student at River Mount High romantically. I'm sure you know that's illegal, correct?"

Damn that kid, Trent. It had to be him.

"There's no truth to that, officer. Accusations like this are what brings down great doctors. Of course I know it's illegal."

"So, do you have a girlfriend, Dr. Styles?"

"No, not at the time. It's hard to have a relationship with the work load I have on a daily basis."

With each farther question, lie after lie fell from my mouth. I seemed more believable by the minute. It'd been twenty minutes and I'd answered everything with flying colors. The officer looked sold on my story.

"Alright, I'll just take you back to your office now. I'm sure you have a lot of work to get done."

The ride back was even more tense than the one before. Did the officer not believe me like I thought he did? Would he question Jess about this too? My mind was filled with unanswered questions when I walked back into the lab. Cara gave me a disapproving look upon my approach. What did she know?

Jessica:

I signed myself in at the front desk of Harry's office. The receptionist greeted me and I took a seat in one of the lobby chairs in the middle. My body tingled as I thought about being alone with Harry in an exam room again. This time we wouldn't be strangers. He could do whatever he liked, touch me wherever. Harry could have his way with me. I fantasized about him bending me over the hospital bed meant for examining patients, or pinning me up against the wall with his with body while every day life was going on like normal outside, oblivious to our actions. My body felt like it was overheating.