XVI. Julian

Five Years Ago
(Julian's POV)

I woke up in the barracks and Alistair shook me saying "Julian, wake up!"

I quickly stood up and said "What is it, Alistair?"

"The Knight-Commander is coming for inspections in five minutes! Get dressed!" He said handing me my armor.

So I strapped on my armor while Alistair made my bed. Then we stood in front of our beds and the Knight-Commander entered our barracks.

"Hello, fellow Templars, I am Knight-Commander Tavish, Knight-Commander of Denerim. I'm here to inspect all of you for a routine check." He said beginning to search through the people's stuff. Then a man with dark brunette hair walked into the room and stood quietly waiting for the Knight-Commander to finish. He kept going and halfway though when the Knight-Commander was searching Alistair's bed, he stopped and took something he found under Alistair's bed.

"Is there something wrong, Knight-Commander?" Alistair said as I began to worry for him.

"What is this?" She said showing him a dagger.

That's what the Knight-Commander found under Alistair's bed?! There has to be something wrong! Alistair is my best friend, he would of told me, I think.

"I believe that is an iron dagger from the looks of it, sir." He said surprisingly calm.

"And why was there an iron dagger underneath you bed, Sir Alistair?" The Knight-Commander yelled beginning to grip the dagger tightly.

"I don't know, Knight-Commander."

"Fine. Then you're no longer a Templar. You have now been stripped of your honor and have one night left here to collect your things." The Knight-Commander said leaving the room.

Then the brunette man walked up to Alistair and said "Alistair, is it?"

"Yes, sir. Whom might you be, sir?"

"The name is Duncan. Have you ever heard of the Grey Wardens?" He asked peculiarly.

"Yes, they are the defenders against the Darkspawn."

"Well how about instead of being stripped of your honor, you become a Ferelden Grey Warden? I fear of a Blight coming in a few years. This is the best time to look too. So what do you say, Alistair?" The man said offering out a hand to him.

"I'd be honored." Alistair said shaking the mans hand firmly.

"I'll be back tomorrow so that we can begin our journey for a few more recruits, and then Ostagar." The man said and he left the room.

"Wow!" I said in shock.

"Yeah."

"So Alistair, was that dagger really yours?" I asked trying not to pry too much.

"Yes. My old friend gave it to me in Redcliffe. His name was Glenn."

"Redcliffe? You said that you've lived in Denerim your whole life!" I said angrily.

"Look, Julian, there's somethings I need to tell you, but you can't tell anyone else. I'm from Redcliffe. I lived in Arl Eamon's Castle since I was young because I'm King Cailan's half brother. I've only had one other true friend or at least I thought he was, his name was Glenn, but that didn't work out. As soon as I left, I came here and kept my past a secret. So I tried to join the Templars and here I am. Now let's do our assignments, I want to live my last day in the order with my head held high." Alistair said as we began to do our assignments.

Then we did our duties and the next morning, he was gone.