Chapter Six

❝preparation (pronounced ˌprɛpəˈreɪʃ(ə)n or prep-uh-rey-shuh n), noun
a proceeding, measure, or provision by which one prepares for something.
e.g. preparations for a wedding.❞

Elle blinked. "He doesn't talk much."

Hunter tried not to smile, and Ryan nodded. "No. He's very little."

"Younger than Ari?"

"Yeah, Ari's four this year."

Elle looked at Phoenix again. "He's cute, though," she amended. "Just quiet."

Ryan smiled slightly. "Do you like him?"

"I love him," she said, smiling. "Will we tell him he's adopted?"

"We don't... we don't know yet, honey," said Ryan.

"Not yet," said Hunter. "It's better he lives his whole life without knowing."

"Why?"

That made him pause. They had told her that they had adopted him. But not that he had been dropped at their doorstep. "Just because, honey. It'll make sense when you're older."

She sighed. "'Kay." She looked at Phoenix again. "I'm Elle. I'm your big sister. What's your name?"

"Phoenix," said a voice, and both Hunter and Ryan's heads snapped to look at him.

"Did- did he just speak?" said Ryan, in shock.

"I think so. Elle, try talking to him again."

"Can you say my name, Nick?"

"Elle. You Elle." He smiled slightly at Elle, and she grinned, looking up at Hunter and Ryan.

"Maybe he just likes kids more than adults."

"You've gotta be kidding me," muttered Hunter.

"Nick, honey, do you know who I am?"

"No."

"I'm your Mama."

"And I'm your Papa, bud," said Hunter gently.

He looked at them both. "P-Papa?"

"Yeah. I'm your dad."

He considered this, before looking at Ryan. "You Mama?"

"Yes, that's right."

"But where's Mommy?"

She sighed. "I don't know."

His lower lip trembled, and Hunter picked him up. "Hey, why don't we go and get some dino nuggets, huh? You liked those, didn't you?"

Ryan had to smile, and Hunter walked out of the hospital room holding Phoenix. Elle smiled after him. "He's a good Papa. There are some kids at school who say they don't like their dads because they yell too much. Papa never yells at anyone."

Ryan smiled slightly, before saying, "Hey, I never got to see the dress that Naomi made you!"

Instead of making Elle smile, she sighed. "I'm not allowed to wear it 'til I get better. I'm not strong enough, they said."

She sighed. "Alright. Why don't you show me the dress, instead? Where is it?"

"It's in that cupboard over there."

Ryan went to look through the cupboard and got it out. She pulled the Elsa dresses away and found a gorgeous looking gown. It was salmon coloured, with a simple black bow and a black lace trim. "Oh, Ellie! It's beautiful, just like you. I love it!"