Chapter Thirty-One

❝birthday (pronounced ˈbəːθdeɪ or burth-dey), noun
the anniversary of a birth.❞

Phoenix observed his family.

He never said much. He preferred to just watch people.

Right now, it was the night before his baby sister's birthday. Mama was in the kitchen, cooking, and Papa was helping her in any way that he could. She always laughed whenever he said something, and sometimes, he would 'accidentally' brush past her in an excuse to touch her. Elle was in the living room, blowing up balloons. Robin was sitting in the living room, too, playing with her toys and babbling away. Occasionally, Elle threw balloons at her for her to play with and laughed.

He started drawing quietly in the notepad that Mama had given him for his birthday. Mama was talking to Papa. "Hunt, can you just mince some garlic for me?"

"Sure, my dove," he said. "How much?"

"Just two or three cloves should do."

He smiled at her. Phoenix noticed how his eyes always crinkled up at the corners when he smiled. But when he smiled at Mama, his eyes became warmer and softer. She always blushed a tiny bit whenever he smiled, too. Her cheeks went pink first, then slowly got darker depending on what he did. Smiling made her pink. Laughing made it more of a magenta. Brushing against her would make her blush deeper still, and if he kissed her on the cheek, forehead or lips, then she went as red as a tomato.

She seemed to have a similar effect on him. Whenever she kissed his cheek, he noticed how Hunter's Adam's Apple bobbed in his throat, and how he seemed disoriented for a moment, before continuing as he was. Ryan smiled at Phoenix, and he smiled back. "What're you drawing there, sweetheart?"

He showed her. "That's so cute! Is that Robbie?"

"Yes," he said, smiling slightly. "She's cute."

Ryan smiled at Hunter. "You know, I think he's getting better at speaking. You know, he didn't really have complete sentences before, but he's getting there. Aren't you, sweetheart?"

"Yeah!"

"Mama!" yelled Elle from the living room. "Papa! Guys, come quick!"

"Elle!" said Hunter, dropping everything and running to the living room. Ryan ran after him, and Phoenix hopped down from his chair and toddled after them as well. "Elle, what is it?! Are you hurt?!"

"No, I'm okay, but- okay, okay. Robbie! Robbie, do it again! Do what you just did!"

Robin hauled herself up using a table, and smiled at Hunter and Ryan. Hunter blinked. "Ellie, she's been standing for ages now."

"No, but look!" she said impatiently. "Robin, come on!"

Robin let go of the table, and Ryan gasped. "Will she fall?"

She babbled, before toddling towards Ryan. A huge grin broke out on Hunter's face, and Ryan said, "She's- she's-"

"Walking," whispered Hunter. "She's walking."

Ryan lifted her when she finally got to her, and Robin laughed. "Look at you!" she said, kissing her forehead. "I'm so proud of you, darling!"

She giggled, and Ryan put her back down. She walked to Hunter next, stumbling slightly but getting there in the end. He threw her up in the air. "Aren't you just the smartest little one year old on the planet?" he said to her, and she giggled again. He kissed her cheek. "Wait 'til your grandparents see you. They'll be thrilled."

"Speaking of which, I should call Winnie, ask what time the plane is landing tomorrow. I'll need to make lunch, too..."

"Don't sweat it. We'll get some pizza."