Chapter Twenty-Six

❝school (pronounced skuːl or skool), noun
an institute to educate children.❞

"Wake up," whispered a voice softly.

"I don't want to," Ryan muttered. "Too tired."

"Hmm," said the voice, as though amused by this answer. "What if I did... this?" She felt soft kisses down her neck, like butterflies, and she stirred.

"Oh..."

He laughed slightly. "That got a reaction, huh? What if I did this?" He kissed her earlobe, and she moaned softly, trying half-heartedly to push him away.

"H-Hunt, c'mon..."

"You want this."

"I do, but I also have to go back to work, and somehow, I feel like rocking up after having morning sex wouldn't make me the best role model for the freshmen, don't you agree?"

He sighed, kissing her lips. "You could just take a shower."

"That's irrelevant. Maybe tonight, okay? This isn't the right time."

"Oh, alright then. G'morning, my dove."

"Good morning," she replied tiredly, finally opening her eyes. Hunter smiled down at her, hovering just above her. She smiled at him, and he kissed her again.

"Ready to go back to school?"

"I guess." She sighed. "I'm not sure I'm ready."

"Of course you are," he replied. "You're gonna be fine."

She pursed her lips, but nodded. "I trust you."

It had been six months since their giant argument. Ryan was twenty-seven now, Elle turning nine in the fall, and Phoenix had turned three the year before. Robin was beginning to grow into the size of the average six month old, and was starting to eat food and not just breastmilk. That was good for everyone- though breastfeeding her was an incredible experience, it had taken a lot of energy to do it repeatedly for such a long time.

Either way, Ryan was now ready to go back to teaching. Her maternity leave had ended, and so had her post-natal depression. Hunter was happier than ever, and he couldn't wait to see Ryan doing what she loved again. Robin, too, was old enough to leave with a babysitter, so that worked out for them as well.

Hunter smiled. "I got up early and made you breakfast, my dove. Eggs Benedict, just like how you taught me."

"Thank you, bluejay." She sat up, and got out of bed. "I'm just gonna take a quick shower."

"Do it. You smell."

She hit him playfully, and he laughed. "Just kidding. Go on, take a shower. I'll get Elle and Nick ready."

"Alright. Where'll Nick be?"

"I planned it out!" he said proudly. "Okay, so three days of the week, I'll stay home and look after him and Robbie while you and Ellie go to school- so Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Then Thursday and Friday, we'll get babysitters, just because I can't miss studio time too much. Then, of course, weekends you'll be home, so you can take care of them while I go to the studio!"

"You're right, you do have it all worked out," she said, kissing him quickly. "Good work, honey."

He puffed out his chest proudly. "All in a day's work," he said, sounding as majestic as he could, and she laughed.

"Alright, go away. I need to shower."

"Fine." He kissed her again, before leaving the room.

She walked into their bathroom, mussing her hair, which was about three inches long. Stripping, she looked at her stomach, this time with a slight smile. She had been exercising and dieting, and now she had lost most of the excess weight. She had also gained back enough weight on the rest of her body to look back in proportion and look far healthier. She was now using the same oil she had used on the scar she had gotten from the stitches from when Hunter had saved her from Markus on her stretch marks and her cut, which made them fade away. She was almost back to normal.