Chapter Thirty-Three

❝memory (pronounced ˈmɛm(ə)ri or mem-uh-ree), noun
the mental capacity or faculty of retaining and reviving facts, events, impressions, etc., or of recalling or recognizing previous experiences.❞

"Hunter Hayes?"

Ryan stood up immediately, walking to the doctor. "Is he alright?"

"We just finished the surgery," said the doctor. "There were no complications, he'll be able to go home on Tuesday."

"Good. Thank you very much."

"Oh, and one more thing, ma'am?"

Ryan looked at him. "Yes?"

"Some patients have short-term amnesia when they first wake up from strong anaesthetic like the one we used on Mr Hayes. It might take him a small while to return to normal."

"That's fine. Thank you for informing me." Ryan smiled charmingly, then walked to Hunter's ward.

He was kind of cute when he slept. His hair wasn't done, and flipped around his face. He was lying still, his head lolling slightly to the left. She lifted the blanket and the hospital gown to see that his wound was bandaged, and slightly bloody. Ryan sighed, taking his hand and waiting for his eyes to flicker open.

She hated the smell of hospitals with a passion. It was a smell that reminded her too much of when Elle was stuck here, getting the life sucked out of her with every chemo treatment. The place always smelled of sanitation and death.

Suddenly, Hunter stirred. "What happened?" he mumbled.

"It's all good, bluejay," said Ryan. "The surgery was a success."

He opened his eyes fully, and his pupils dilated at the sight of Ryan. Her short blonde hair was being held back by a few bobby pins, and her eyes were turquoise, like two beautiful sparkling pools of water. His mouth dropped open. "Woah," he said. "Are you a model?"

She smiled slightly. "No, Hunter. I'm Ryan. I'm your wife."

"You're my wife?!" he asked incredulously. He laughed, fist pumping the air. "I hit the jackpot! You're so- so beautiful. Oh my God. Did you say your name was Ryan?"

"That's right."

"That's such a nice name. How long have we been married?"

"Two years now."

"Do we have kids?"

"Of course."

He giggled like a Japanese schoolgirl. "That's so cool. Can I touch you? Like, to make sure I'm not just imagining some goddess in front of me?" He blinked rapidly. "I feel a little dizzy."

She started to laugh. The way his words were slurring together slightly made this sudden proclamation even funnier- it made him sound drunk. "I'm real, honey."

"You have such a beautiful voice. Can you say my name again?"

"Hunter."

He grinned. She pronounced it 'Hon-ter', which he found sexy. "It sounds angelic when you say it. Wow. Are you sure you married me?"

"To be honest with you, I ask myself the same thing sometimes."

"Wow." He laughed again. "You're my wife. You're like an angel. You're like a divinity. Holy crap, you're so... so... perfect." He smiled brightly. "What's your job? Tell me everything I don't know about you."

"I'm a teacher. I work at the high school and the elementary school."

"And do you teach music? Please tell me you teach music, that would be so amazing."