Chapter Fifteen

❝detest (pronounced dɪˈtɛst or dih-test), verb
to dislike intensely.❞

Hunter was holding Ryan close a few days later. They were going to go to Lexi's birthday party soon, and she wanted to rest. She had been fatigued since that day they had gone to the sonographer's clinic, and he was worried about her. She lay there quietly, tireder than ever.

"I don't know that I want to go to this party, Hunter."

"Why not?"

"Well... Lexi hasn't exactly been warm to me. Y'know. I just... I don't know."

"It'll work out," he said. They lay there together, listening to the TV downstairs. Phoenix was watching Natural Geographic- he loved animals. They left the baby monitor down there as well, to make sure he wasn't going to do anything dangerous. They just needed time to themselves. Hunter's hand travelled up and down Ryan's spine, leaving tingling sensations wherever his fingers went. She would never really get used to that sensation.

She gasped suddenly, and Hunter jumped. "What?! What is it?! Does something hurt, are you-"

"Hunt, no, I- I- I think she kicked," she whispered, quickly putting a hand on her stomach.

"Really?" he whispered, putting a hand on her stomach as well. "Do you think she'll do it again?"

"I don't know. But I can feel- she's- she's moving."

He concentrated deeply, leaving a hand on her stomach. "C'mon, baby," he breathed softly. "Show Papa that you're really there."

Ryan felt the fluttering kick again, and Hunter gasped as well. "I- I felt it!"

"Wow," she breathed. "This is amazing. She can hear us, right?

"Yeah," he said. He kissed her forehead. "I can't wait 'til this baby is born, Ry. I love you so much. This is gonna be so perfect."

"I sure hope so."

"What will we name her?"

"Robin Eleanor," she said immediately. "I've always wanted a kid named Robin."

"Alright, but only if the next one is named Spencer."

"There's gonna be a next one?!"

He laughed. "We'll see. Alright, darling. Let's rest up before this party."

<><><><><><><><><><>

Hunter pulled on a fitted blue shirt and jeans. Ryan came in, looking stunning in a red maxi skirt and a striped black and white shirt. She quickly adjusted his collar. "You look nice," said Hunter. She smiled slightly, though something seemed off. "Hey, what's wrong?"

"I dunno. I just... I don't know if Lexi wants to see me."

"She's not five years old, Ry. I'm sure she'll get over it and you two will be friends."

"I hope so." She took his hand and gave him a smile. Phoenix toddled in. "Mama!"

"Hey, darling! You look nice!" she said with a smile.

"Right, are you ready to go?"

"Yeah, I'm good," said Ryan. "Let's go."

The car trip was quiet. Ryan had seemed quieter than usual lately, and Hunter wasn't sure what to make of it. He was worried about her.

They got to the house, and Ryan hesitated slightly getting out of the car. "Hey, Hunt, I feel kind of ill."

"Ill?" he said concernedly. "Are you alright?"