Chapter Eight

❝birthday (pronounced ˈbəːθdeɪ or burth-dey), noun
the day that one was born, usually celebrated with family and friends.❞

Ryan rubbed her eyes again. She had been crying while driving back home. She needed to tell Hunter... but she couldn't bring herself to tell him tonight. She'd maybe make up an excuse, and go to bed early...

She opened the door, before hearing a loud, "SURPRISE!" She jumped in shock, and Phoenix toddled up to her, wrapping his arms around her legs. "Happy Birfday!" he said cheerfully.

"Birthday?" she mumbled, counting through the days in her head. Yes... it was the fourteenth. She had been twenty-six all day, and she hadn't even realised it. What a way to start her twenty-sixth year of life.

She looked up into the room. Lucky, Parker, Ari, Jasper, and Hunter's parents were all there, smiling at her. "We asked Naomi and your family if they could come, but they were all busy," said Hunter. "So I decided to throw you a little party of our own instead."

She smiled. "You're too sweet," she said, kissing Hunter on the lips once. "I completely forgot it was my birthday at all."

"Happy birthday, darling," he said. "Now, we all got you presents, and Lucky made a cake!"

Her eyes almost filled with tears again. "Hey, are you crying?" he said, sounding concerned. "What's wrong? Don't you like it?"

"Hunt, no, of course I like it. No one has done anything like this for me before," she said, amongst 'awww's from everyone in the room. Hunter chuckled softly, kissing her hair and hugging her gently.

"I love you, okay?" he said gently. "You deserve all this. Now, come on. We'll eat some cake, maybe drink some wine..."

Wine?! she thought frantically. I'm pregnant, I can't have alcohol!

"Okay," she said hesitantly.

After they all sang 'Happy Birthday' and blowing out candles, Ryan was handed presents from everyone. Lucky and Parker had gotten her some clothes, and Lynette and Leo gave her strings for her guitar. Phoenix handed her a box made of popsicle sticks, covered in glitter and falling apart. Ryan had to smile. They were all so sweet. Then, Hunter handed her a box. "I didn't know what to get you."

"Oh, Hunt, you shouldn't've. Really."

"But I did," he said.

She opened it to find a bronze bracelet, a band with a small locket in the center. "I put a picture of us in there," he said. "You like the engraving?"

She took a look. Somehow we stumbled our way into love, a long life with you isn't long enough.

"I love it," she said, hugging him and nuzzling the tip of her nose against his neck. "Thank you. Thank you all. I love all these things. You shouldn't have gotten me anything."

"Of course we did," said Lynette. "We love you, Ryan."

After hugging everyone, Hunter poured everyone some wine. They all chatted happily, and Ryan awkwardly held the glass away from her mouth. Lucky glanced at her, and Ryan gave a very subtle nod. Her eyes widened, and she gestured at Hunter, but Ryan shook her head.

"Honey? Aren't you drinking?"

"Not tonight. I'm a little tired."

"Of course," he said, nodding. She was glad that he didn't question her further. Lucky drank her wine and set the glass down, looking at Parker.

"I think it's best we leave," she said. "Jasper has school tomorrow, Ari has preschool."

"Yeah, of course," said Hunter. "Ma, Dad, are you gonna stay here? I could get the guest room ready-"