Chapter Forty-Three

❝family (pronounced ˈfamɪli or fam-uh-lee), noun
Whatever you want it to mean. Family is family. It doesn't matter what a dictionary defines it to be.❞

She made her way to the park alone after sneaking out through Drew's window. He had refused to help her, and Drew had been strangely quiet. But she didn't worry about that now. She had to get a taxi, then hopefully a bus. Then she'd find her real family.

It was getting cold outside. She shivered as she walked. She wondered what her real family would be like. But honestly, she was beginning to regret leaving the house at all. She felt so... open. Like someone could come out of the shadows and hurt her at any given moment.

She heard a car following her, and she turned to look at it. There were two men inside. She gulped, looking ahead and walking faster. She turned a corner, and the car did as well.

"Hey, kid," called one of the men, and she turned around to face them. "Want a ride?"

"N-No, thanks," she said nervously. "My parents said that I shouldn't go around with strangers."

He leered at her. "Come on, kid. It's cold out here. Come into the car. Nice and warm."

She felt her willpower draining. Heat would have been so wonderful. Still, she shook her head. "Thank you, but I don't want to." She kept walking, but the car kept going after her.

"Sweetheart, I think you should get into the car right now. Don't want the police to catch you."

"Police?" she said skeptically.

"Of course! Any kids who are outside after seven are breaking the law!"

"The law? But I've been outside with my parents-"

"No, kid. I mean without an adult. If you stay with us, then you won't have to go to jail." He looked genuinely concerned. "You need to be quick! They'll catch you otherwise!"

"I don't want to."

"Hmm. Then I'll just have to make you." He opened the car door, and Elle stumbled backwards, tripping and falling. The man tried to grab her wrist, and she fought against him. "No! Get off!"

"Stop fighting, sweet pea, and just come with us!"

She screamed loudly, but he covered her mouth with his hand. She spat into it, making him yell in disgust, and tried to get away again.

Then she heard a voice.

"Elle Lilliana, get over here!"

She looked over. "Uncle Jon!"

The man outside the car glanced at Jon. "Who the hell are you?"

"Her uncle. So back off," said Jon angrily. "Get out of here before I call the police on you."

He narrowed his eyes, but climbed back into the car, driving off. Jon clicked his tongue, getting his phone out and writing down the number plate of the car. Child abductors in Nashville- the authorities needed to be alerted as soon as possible. But he had other priorities first.

"Elle, get into the car."

"Where are we going?"

"Back home. Your parents are worried sick about you."

"I don't want-"

He just picked her up without another word and put her into the front seat. "Put on your seatbelt, Elle," he said sternly, and she didn't even hesitate. He sounded scary. He never sounded like that. Jon started the car and began the drive back to Hunter's and Ryan's house.