Chapter Fifty-One

❝coma (pronounced ˈkəʊmə or koh-ma), noun
a prolonged state of deep unconsciousness, caused especially by severe illness or injury.❞

It was June now. The summery days were beginning to come back. Most of the students had recovered from the incident, save for the few that watched Alex and Penny die, and the class that had listened to Peter's last words and Ryan's helpless pleas.

Ryan woke up feeling ill. She got out of bed, trying not to wake Hunter, and began to throw up violently into the sink. A small while later, Hunter came into the bathroom and held her hair back, rubbing her back gently. "There, there," he said softly. "Let it out."

Ryan finally stopped, coughing slightly. "Oh..."

He took her back to the room and brought her a glass of water. "You okay?"

"I'm fine."

He felt her forehead, and his eyes widened. "Shit," he mumbled. "You're running a fever."

She sighed. "Damn it."

"What do you mean, damn it?"

"I was hoping you wouldn't notice."

"Of course I'd notice." He helped her lie down. "I'll call Dr Chambers. Stay here."

"Go to the studio, Hunt, I'm fine."

"You're not fine. I'm not risking losing you both."

She tried to fight, but she was too weak to do so. Her body felt terrible. "Hunt, come on," she protested weakly, and he shook his head firmly.

"No. Don't try and talk me out of this. Stay here, Ryan."

She sighed, trying to breathe steadily. What she had said to Mina all those years ago was right- after giving birth, it was easy to forget how painful it had all been. She groaned quietly, feeling pain shoot through her body.

Hunter came back in and sat down, stroking her hair. "Are you okay?"

"I dunno. I just feel... y'know, ill."

He pursed his lips, testing her forehead and neck. "You're burning up," he murmured. "But you don't have the flu again. I'd be able to tell if you did."

"I know you would." She reached up and stroked his cheek. "It's just the anemia and the preeclampsia this time. I'm sure of it."

He didn't look too sure. "You've been through so much, my darling," he breathed quietly. "I'm so sorry."

"It wasn't your fault."

He just sat and stroked her hair until Dr Chambers came. "Ryan! Hunter! Good to see you two again. I heard about what happened at the high school. Are you recovering okay?"

"Yeah. Still recovering, but I'll be alright."

She begun the checkup, Hunter waiting worriedly in the corner. "Well?" said Ryan, once Dr Chambers seemed to be done.

"I'm sure it's the same thing again. Thankfully, this time, you don't have the flu. Just take it easy for the next few months. There's not much we can do about the preeclampsia, but it seems very mild. The anemia can be treated like last time, with the supplements. Everything seems relatively fine."

Hunter sighed, sounding slightly relieved. "So she'll be okay?"

"She'll be fine." Dr Chambers smiled at them both. "Ryan's stronger than the other women I've ever looked after. She'll pull through."

Ryan smiled slightly, and Hunter squeezed her hand. "Have you gone in for an ultrasound yet?"

"No, not yet."