Chapter Thirty-Two

❝appendix (pronounced əˈpɛndɪks or a-pen-diks), noun
A human organ. Seriously though, what is it even for?❞

"Mama?"

"Yes?"

"Where do babies come from?"

"Magical fairies come and put a baby in the mom's tummy," said Ryan distractedly. Phoenix nodded, as though this were an acceptable response, and went back to his drawing. She kept reading over the essay that Lola had submitted last class, trying to decipher exactly why she had started talking about the incredible nature of a beaver's waterproof coat in the middle of her essay about classical music.

Elle was in her room, and Robin was babbling to the TV in the living room. They heard a noise, and the door opened.

"Papa!" yelled all three kids, running to Hunter and hugging him. Robin had learned her first word (Mama) a month ago.

Hunter hugged them, but he looked pale, and a little sweaty. "Hey, dove," he said to Ryan, trying to smile. "Have a good day?"

"Are you sick?"

"I don't know."

She leaned up and touched his forehead. "You have a fever, bluejay."

"Oh." He coughed, then winced. "Crap. My stomach hurts like crazy."

"Where?" she asked, and he moved her hand to the right of his abdomen, near his hip. She felt around. The skin seemed tense, and he cried out when she pressed in a certain spot. "D-Don't touch there!" he said.

"Hunt, maybe we should go to the doctor's," she said worriedly, but he shook his head.

"No, I'm- I'm fine. What's for dinner?"

"I made shepherd's pie, but-"

"Alright. Let's eat."

She pursed her lips, but said nothing. Hunter grimaced as he walked into the dining room, where Ryan had set the table. Ryan served everyone, and they ate in silence. Well, the rest of the family did. Hunter pushed the food on his plate around with his fork. "Honey?" said Ryan. "Aren't you eating?"

"Not hungry," he mumbled.

"But shepherd's pie is your favourite!" said Phoenix. Now that he was almost four, he had that endearing way that a toddler talked- half-gasping, half-golly.

"I know. I just... don't feel like it." He took a deep breath. "I feel kinda dizzy, actually."

"Okay. Go to bed. I'll put the kids to bed and come check on you."

He nodded slightly, standing up and walking to their room without complaint. Elle stared after him, then glanced at Ryan. "Is... is Papa okay?"

"I think he's just a little ill," she said. "Eat up. I'll put you guys to bed after dessert."

"What's dessert?" asked Phoenix, perking up.

"Sticky date pudding and vanilla ice cream."

"Yum!" said Elle. "I love sticky date."

Ryan heard a strange noise, and looked up. "Um... I'll be back, guys. Give me a moment."

"Okay."

She followed the noise to the ensuite bathroom, where Hunter was throwing up. "I... think I'm coming down with something," he said weakly.

"Did you eat something weird?" she asked helping him sit and grabbing him a cup of water. He rinsed out his mouth and took small sips.

"N-Not that I know of," he groaned, putting a hand on his stomach again. "Stomach hurts though."