Chapter Eleven

❝true (pronounced truː or troo), adjective
in accordance with reality.❞

Ryan had no time left.

She looked at Hunter from across the table, and a sick feeling spread through her growing stomach. She had to tell him tonight. And she had to tell him now.

"H-Hunt?"

"Yes?"

"There's something I need to tell you." She glanced at Phoenix. "But not here. Not yet."

He frowned. "Alright. Why don't you go to bed, and I'll see you there?"

"S-Sure." She stood up and left the table.

Hunter, who knew that she was about to tell him what she had been hiding from him for so long, was worried. Whatever it was, it had only been making her more and more distant. The wedding was tomorrow.

What if she had changed her mind? What if she left him at the altar tomorrow?

He stood up, suddenly feeling sick to his stomach. Once he had left Phoenix watching cartoons in front of the TV, he went to their bedroom, where Ryan was supposed to be sleeping. "My dove?" he called softly through the door. "It's me. Can I come in?"

"Y-Yeah. Sure."

He opened the door. She was sitting on the bed, not looking up. "I... I was about to go to bed."

"It's time to tell me what's wrong. You promised."

When she didn't answer, he tucked a strand of her soft blonde hair behind her ear. "Is everything okay?"

She nodded slightly. "Y-Yes."

"Tell me what's wrong," he said softly. "Please."

She shook her head, beginning to cry. "I can't."

"Hey, hey, what's wrong? What do you mean, you can't?" He gulped. "Are you... are you thinking about a divorce or something?"

She shook her head, still crying. "No, never. I'd never... no."

"Then what is it?" he said, though his heart rose a little. No matter what this 'thing' might be, it couldn't possibly be too bad, so long as they were together.

"I... I'm..." She put a hand over her stomach and began to cry even harder. "I'm... I'm so sorry..."

"You're pregnant," he breathed, understanding. His heart practically stopped beating, and he found himself unable to breathe. "Aren't you?"

She sobbed. "I'm so sorry," she kept crying. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to."

"But... how?" he whispered. "The... the pills..."

"The dysmenorrhea is gone, Hunter," she cried. "I stopped taking them a few months ago. I forgot... I'm so sorry..."

He held her, but he was in shock. Ryan? Pregnant? He could barely imagine such a thing. His fantasy of them growing old together had long since had no children in the picture, apart from Elle and maybe Phoenix, if he ended up staying with them. A third child? What might happen?

He pulled away and wiped her tears gently. "Ry... did... did you know? Did you know you'd get pregnant?"

"I know you don't want a baby-"

"You're not answering my question," he said. "Did you know you would get pregnant?"

"Y-You don't want a baby," she sobbed. "But I don't want to lose this baby. I c-can't."

He nodded. "I know. We're keeping it."

"I don't- I don't want you to be unhappy," she sobbed. "I'm so sorry. I've ruined everything." She shook her head, tears spilling from her eyes. "I'm- I'm gonna pack my bags. You don't deserve someone like me."