Chapter Fifty-Four

❝fear (pronounced fɪə or feer), noun
a distressing emotion aroused by impending danger, evil, pain, etc., whether the threat is real or imagined; the feeling or condition of being afraid.❞

That night, the entire family had come over for dinner. Fourth of July concerts and shows were playing everywhere, and Hunter sat sullenly in the living room, watching them on TV. He was meant to be one of those performers. He was meant to be searching for his daughter. But he couldn't. He knew his family was the most important thing, but it still stung.

Though they had spent the whole day together, Ryan wasn't all there. She didn't talk to him for most of their time together, or only gave one word answers. She was just... not the woman he fell for. And he knew that to think that way was shallow and stupid, but he just wanted his dove back. Not this repeat of Lilly's downward spiral. He hated every aspect of this, and watching her lose her personality was more torturous than listening to her cry. And that was something that he thought would never be topped by something worse.

Will sat down beside him. "You look pissed."

He shrugged, taking a sip of his wine. "It's nothing."

"Seriously, what's up?" asked Jon, sitting down on the other couch. "You've been really off since we got here."

"It's nothing. I told you, it's nothing."

"Oh, don't give us that," said Parker, sitting down with George. "We know you're lying."

He gestured at the TV with a sigh. "I was meant to be there."

"There? Like, watching?"

"Like, performing," he said irritably. He sighed. "I told you, it's nothing."

"And you didn't. Because you m-"

"Missed the tour, yes. I cancelled it. No need to rub salt into the wound," he said bitterly.

"And what the hell is that supposed to mean?" growled Will.

He didn't reply, and George said nervously, "He- he didn't mean anything. He just wanted to go on the tour-"

"And leave Ryan behind while she was pregnant?"

"I wouldn't have known she was pregnant, even if I had left for the tour. But I didn't, did I?"

"So you're regretting staying behind because she was shot by one of her students?"

"Did I ever say that?"

"You're implying it."

"Well, no. I'm not regretting it. I just miss performing the way I used to, alright?"

"Guys," Parker said sharply. "If you're going to argue, do it somewhere else. The last thing Ryan needs is a fight breaking out between her brother and her husband."

Hunter just went back to staring at the TV, noticeably more tense, and Will clenched his fists. "I warned you," he said quietly. "You'd better be looking after her, Hayes."

"I'm trying. She's not helping."

"You-"

"Hunter?"

He looked up. "Yes?"

"Come help me set up the table? I can't really bend right now."

"Of course," he said, standing. Will death glared him, and the rest of the men were silent. He followed her into the kitchen, and she frowned, looking at him.

"Hey, what was Will talking to you about?"

"Nothing."

She just waited for him to talk, looking into his eyes. Her turquoise eyes had this incredible power of making him tell her the truth in the end. He sighed. "He's mad because I complained about not being able to perform tonight. I was really looking forward to the performance, and I... I..."