Chapter Nineteen

❝lose (pronounced luːz or looz), verb
be deprived of or cease to have or retain (something).  
eg. I can't lose Elle, too.❞

For the whole day, Ryan was normal. Well, as normal as she could be. She was still occasionally in pain, Hunter could see that, but she had stayed awake for longer today than she had since she had gotten sick, and she could walk around a little, too.

"I'm glad to see you're feeling better," said Hunter, passing her a bowl of pasta.

"I wonder what happened," she said. "I haven't felt like this in a while."

"I don't care what happened. I'm just glad you're okay."

"Can we go outside? It's warm, isn't it?"

"Sure. Finish your food first."

"It tastes really good, Hunt," she said, and he smiled. But he still couldn't shake the feeling that something was still off. But no... she had to be fine now. She looked fine, acted fine- why, she was even eating something that wasn't just applesauce or tea. Maybe it was just the paleness of her skin from being inside for so many days, or how thin she was from eating so little. Yes, that had to be it.

She finished her bowl of pasta quickly, taking Hunter's hand. They walked slowly outside together, and Lynette watched from the porch, smiling. Ryan closed her eyes, breathing in the sweet air. "I missed the outside."

"I've missed you," he replied. "Being with you like this." He nuzzled his nose against her still damp hair. "Do you think I'm allowed to kiss you?"

"Let's not get hasty," she replied. "I don't want you getting ill."

"I don't care," he said softly. "I miss you."

She reached up behind her to touch his cheek. "I love you."

"I forgot how soft your skin is," he said. "How amazing you are all the time. Just... you. I almost forgot everything about you."

"I know. I forgot a lot about you as well. You know, I'm barely awake most of the time and all."

Hunter took her by the waist gently. "Let's go back inside. We can rest a little. You're tired out."

"Alright, darling." She still leaned on him heavily, but Hunter was ecstatic. Maybe she was getting better. Maybe he wouldn't need to make a choice. They went back inside, and Hunter quickly helped Ryan sit on the couch. She winced slightly, and Phoenix ran up to her. "Mama, Mama!"

"Hey, sweet pea," said Ryan gently. "Look! It's your little sister."

Phoenix grinned. "I talk to her?"

"Sure."

"Hi!" he said to her stomach. "I'm Nick! I'm your big bwother!"

"Look, Nick," she said, gasping slightly. "She's kicking for you. Touch my belly."

He did, and he smiled. "What she says?"

"She's saying that she loves you," said Ryan gently. Phoenix smiled, curling up against her belly. Hunter came back and helped her prop her feet up on an ottoman.

"Feeling okay? Do you need anything?"

"Not right now."

He sighed. "I'm just so happy to see you out of bed." He sat down and kissed her belly once. "I love you."

"Love you, too."

He turned on the TV, and Sesame Street was on. Phoenix watched happily, until he fell asleep between Hunter and Ryan. Hunter looked at her with a smile. "You think you'll be well enough soon to go see Ellie? She misses you."