Chapter Two

❝child (pronounced tʃʌɪld or chahyld), noun
a person between full growth and birth.❞

Hunter walked in without knocking. Not that it mattered, it was only Ryan in the room. She was changing her clothes, and Hunter sighed. "Woah."

"Woah, what?" she asked, clipping on her bra.

"Just... you. Woah."

She rolled her eyes. "You've seen me naked before, Hunter."

"I've seen the stars and the sunset, too. Doesn't make me stop thinking that they're some of life's more simple pleasures," he said.

"Yes, but I'm not quite that beautiful."

"You're right, I guess. You're a million times more beautiful."

She chuckled slightly, pulling on a long-sleeved shirt, then a knitted poncho over that. "You're absolutely ridiculous."

"I know, don't worry," he said. "I haven't felt this... happy, I guess... for a long time. I don't know why."

"I noticed," she said. "I'm glad to see you so happy. It's the first time since we got married."

He looked apologetic. "Really? I'm sorry."

"It's fine, my love. I understand." She pecked his cheek. "How do I look?"

"Like a million dollars."

"Should I wear gloves?"

"It's a bit cold, yeah. It was snowing, but it seems clear enough now. It oughta be fine."

"Good." She smiled. "It's nice being able to do something like this with you."

"I agree. It'll be fun." He kissed her. "Give me a moment to get changed, and we'll get going."

She nodded, and walked out of the room. It was beginning to get dark, and she flipped her book open, before beginning to read. Her head was hurting a fair bit, though, so she considered just watching TV instead. But then Hunter walked out. "I'm done."

"Cool, let's go."

The drive was almost silent, apart from Hunter's favourite playlist playing quietly in the car. He hummed along, harmonising occasionally, and she leaned her head on her hand, thinking about him again.

Since his own daughter had been pronounced missing, he had been completely out of it for a few days. His mood swings were strong, violent, frequent, but if he ever saw Ryan scared, or even unhappy, he would stop, or at least try to do so. He hadn't been this kind simply out of the goodness in his heart for a long time though. Maybe it was because she missed that that her head was giving her all these crazy thoughts. She hadn't felt so in love with someone since... well... ever. Her trust was all invested in this man, and he was perfect. It still didn't feel like they were married. The wedding would likely make that achievable. But they still needed to talk.

"You're thinking about me again, aren't you?" he said. "I can see that pout on your face."

She laughed. "Hunter, don't be ridiculous. I always pout when I'm concentrating very hard."

"What is going on in that head of yours?"

"Well, I dunno. I've been thinking about what you said when we went to see my family. And when we were going to watch Swan Lake."

Hunter wracked his brains, but couldn't remember much about either event. "What do you mean?"

"Well... kids. I've been thinking about kids."

Hunter's expression twitched slightly, but he kept a straight face. "Oh."

"Have you thought about it?"