Chapter Thirty-Five

❝party (pronounced ˈpɑːti or part-ee), noun
a social gathering of invited guests, typically involving eating, drinking, and entertainment.❞ 

Ryan woke up lying on Hunter's chest. He smiled down at her. "Mornin', sleepyhead."

"What's the time?" she mumbled. "I gotta make Elle and Nick lunch."

"It's eight o'clock. I got Lucky to drop them off, and I gave them lunch money." He smiled slightly. "You're always so tired after we try for a baby."

She grabbed her nightgown, pulling it on with a sigh. "Let's hope this one works, then."

He followed her into the bathroom. "I still dunno about this, honey. I'm still worried about you getting sick."

"It'll be fine," she said, leaning up and kissing his nose. "Now, if you wouldn't mind, could you please make me a green tea to go? I'm gonna take a two minute shower and get dressed."

"No problem. Remember to do the test," he said, kissing her forehead and leaving the bathroom. She could hear him chatting to Robin as she got herself dressed.

She quickly did the test, before going in and taking a quick shower. When she came out, she sighed. Negative. Just like all the other ones.

It had been a month since she had met Dahlia. It was October, a few days after Elle's birthday, and the leaves were beginning to fall. She hummed quietly to herself while doing her eyeliner, then walked into the kitchen. Hunter had made her scrambled eggs and toast. "Go on, eat."

She smiled. "Thank you, darling."

He sat down. "So? What about the pregnancy test?"

"Negative," she said. "Guess we'll have to keep trying."

He sighed. "Not that I mind that at all," he said, winking. "But I want you to be happy."

"Oh, honey. I am happy. I just want to add on to our family. It's okay if that's not possible."

"It will be," he said firmly. "I promise."

She took his hand over the table. "I'm glad that we're doing this," she said softly. "Really. I can't wait to have another kid."

"What do you think it'll be, a boy or a girl?"

"I dunno. I want a boy now. Y'know, because Robbie was a girl."

"Me, too. Let's hope we can pull it off."

"Yeah." She took one last bite, and kissed Hunter's cheek. "It tasted wonderful, bluejay. Thank you."

"It was my pleasure, my dove." He hugged her gently, then pulled away and looked her in the eyes. "Have a good day, alright?"

"I will," she said.

"Don't let the pregnancy test get to you," he said softly. "We will do this. I promise."

"I know we will," she murmured.

"Papa?"

He sighed. "That'll be Robbie. There's milk in the fridge, right?"

"Yeah, and she can have eggs and bacon for breakfast." She kissed him once. "I'm gonna get going. Bye!"

"See you later!" he responded, and she walked out the door.

<><><><><><><><>

She was eating a fruit salad, when Dahlia came and sat down beside her. "Are you avoiding me?"

"Avoiding you? No. Should I have a reason to?" said Ryan smoothly.