Chapter Forty-Eight

❝ballistic (pronouncedbəˈlɪs tɪk or buh-lis-tik), idiom
to become overwrought or irrational.❞

Ryan's heart was pounding.

Today, she would meet Peter's parents for the first time. She stared at herself in the mirror. She was wearing all black in mourning, and she and Hunter would be visiting his home. The funeral had been scarce, and she hadn't had the courage to go and meet them then. She knew it wasn't really Peter's fault that he had no sense of sympathy, of love. Hunter appeared behind her in the mirror.

"How are you feeling?"

"Nervous."

"Why?"

"What if his parents blame me? What then?"

"They won't blame you."

She shook her head, and he hugged her gently. "I don't know that I'm ready for this, Hunt."

"Me neither. But it'll be alright. I'm sure of it."

She took a deep breath. "Let's get going."

He nodded. "Alright. Take my hand."

She did so, and they walked out the door together. The cool air blew into their faces. It was still November, but the snow was beginning early this year. The biting cold nipped at her nose, and she huddled closer to Hunter.

She had never met Peter's parents, but surely they were suffering more that she was. She was scared to meet them. She was scared because she knew that they would probably blame her for their dead son. The whole school knew that Peter had fought with Ryan before he had gone on his murderous rampage. They all knew it was her fault.

The car started, and Hunter looked at Ryan carefully. He wasn't sure how to bring up the subject, but he knew he had to. So, he said, "You know, you've been acting differently lately."

"You don't say," she said, sounding dull.

"N-No, I mean... I mean you're tireder, and you're eating more... almost like you're eating for two."

She froze altogether, realising what it was that Hunter was trying to say. "You don't think-"

"I do," he said. "The one time it actually worked. I think you're pregnant."

She sighed. "Oh, God, Hunt. I don't know if I could handle that on top of everything else."

"We'll go to the doctors later on this week if we have time. Is that okay?"

She looked away. "Yeah. Doctors."

"Honey, we don't have to keep this baby if you don't think you're ready."

"I'm not gonna kill anyone else."

"You didn't kill anyone."

"Prove it."

"That gun wasn't in your hand."

"I'm the reason the gun was in anyone's hand at all."

"That's not-"

"Stop denying it," she snapped. "Just- just stop."

He stopped talking. She didn't look at him, just looked at her stomach. She couldn't believe that she had lost control of her life like this. She didn't feel guilty for hurting Hunter's feelings just now either. She felt... nothing. She was empty.

They pulled up at the home, and Hunter's mind flashed back, years ago, to a time when he had gone to Lilly's house a long time ago. He shook his head. He didn't want to remember that. He didn't care about Lilly right now. He was worried about his dove.