Chapter Twenty-Two

❝hair (pronounced hɛər or as spelled), noun
any of the numerous fine, usually cylindrical, keratinous filaments growing from the skin of humans and animals.❞

She was having a pleasant dream.

It was nowhere she had ever seen before. It was a beautiful little room, made entirely of glass, and outside, she could see a waterfall. She could hear it falling, the clear, blue water making white foam at the bottom. The entire room was filled with soft, plush pillows, and soft blankets covered the floor. Lush, leafy green plants covered the forest floor, and the only person there with her was Hunter. He lay there, spooning her from behind and kissing her neck every now and again. It was peaceful. Quiet. Relaxing.

But a cry broke the calm atmosphere, and Ryan opened her eyes tiredly. She was lying in bed with Hunter, who groaned. "I think she's hungry," he said, and she sighed, rolling out of bed to feed Robin.

She needed time to rest, but Robin, because she was so premature, needed careful tending to. It meant that Ryan was inundated with looking after her, and looking after Elle and Phoenix, and making sure to keep Hunter in account as well. She was tired. That was all.

She fed Robin, and quietly rocked her when she was done. She didn't fall asleep, but kept whimpering and moving. She was really so beautiful, with big, green eyes and thick, soft blonde hair. Ryan counted her fingers and toes for the millionth time, as though the number might've changed. Ten perfect little fingers, and ten perfect little toes. She heard footsteps behind her, and Hunter appeared. "Hey," he said. "You've been up for a long time. Is she fussing?"

"No, no. Just... I just wanted some time to think. My brain's been all over the place since she was born, and I just..."

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine," she said, though she seemed to be trying to convince herself more than him. "Just... I dunno. A little off, if you will."

"Want me to look after her for a little while, and you can go back to bed?"

"You'd do that?"

"'Course. Here, hand her to me."

She did so, and he leaned over and gave her a kiss. "Go to bed. I'll meet you there once she's fallen asleep."

"Okay. Thank you, Hunt."

"I would do it a thousand times for you," he said with a smile, and she went back to bed. But though she was tired, she couldn't sleep.

It was August now. August the fifth, to be exact. The same day that they had brought Hunter's contract back. A year ago today, they found out that Elle wasn't really Hunter's daughter. A year ago today, they had burned all of Lilly's things, and made a promise that they would stick together, no matter what.

It surprised her that she had been married to Hunter for a year now. That she had been free of Markus for so long. It was such a short part of her life, but such a revealing part, too. She found out how strong she really could be under pressure, and found the love of her life.

She felt weight on the other side of the bed. "What's wrong, my dove?" said Hunter softly.

"Nothing. Just tired. Have been since Robbie was born."

He sighed. "I know, darl," he said, his Cajun accent showing a little. "You shouldn't be so down in the dumps, though."

"I'm okay," she insisted. "Just... hold me, would you?"

He immediately pulled her into his chest, kissing her gently. "Are you sure you're okay? I don't want you being upset. Everything's perfect now."

"I know. The thing is though, I don't even know why I'm not feeling okay."