Chapter Fourteen

❝ultrasonography (pronounced ˌʌltrəsəˈnɒɡrəfi or uhl-truh-suh-nog-ruh-fee), noun   
a diagnostic imaging technique utilizing reflected high-frequency sound waves to delineate, measure, or examine internal body structures or organs.❞

Ryan tiredly pulled on one of Hunter's shirts to sleep, and crawled into bed. Hunter had told her that he would clean up after dinner, noticing how she was falling asleep at the table. She crawled into the large, soft bed, sighing as her head hit the pillow. She fell asleep almost immediately.

Hunter walked in about fifteen minutes later, and wondered if his memory was to be trusted. Lilly hadn't been this tired while pregnant, had she? She had insomnia, and whenever she did sleep, she slept well, but... something wasn't right. He couldn't shake that feeling.

He shook his head, pulling on a pair of shorts and leaving his shirt off since it was sweltering. Surely Ryan was fine. She had never been pregnant before, after all. Maybe she was just getting used to her body being the way it was and such. Yes, that had to be it.

He rolled into bed, and heard Ryan stir. "Hmm?"

"It's just me."

"Oh. Sorry."

"No, it's alright. Why don't you sleep?"

She rolled over and sighed happily. "You're not wearing a shirt. And you're wearing shorts."

"Nice detective work."

"You smell good."

He laughed softly. "Alright, sleep, my darling. We have a big day ahead of us tomorrow."

She rested her head on his chest and let her legs become tangled with his. "I love you."

"I love you, too, my darling."

She fell asleep again, and though Hunter tried to close his eyes and sleep as well, he couldn't help but think about everything. About his whole life, leading up to now, lying here in a cottage in Italy. How he had initiated conversation with a redheaded girl, which lead to them being best friends. Falling in love with a girl called Lucky, before breaking up with her because he was scared she would get hurt. Falling for his best friend. Watching her go through hell, then die. Watching the girl he thought was his daughter grow up. Meeting her music teacher, and falling in love with her. Kissing her in a car, before saving her at knifepoint. Finding out his daughter wasn't his daughter, and realising that he no longer loved Lilly the way he once had. And now, lying here with his pregnant wife, his "daughter"'s music teacher, on their honeymoon.

She was so peaceful when she slept. Years and years of pain and worry were wiped off her face, and she looked perfect. Her lashes were long and thick, and her mouth open just slightly, her warm breath rushing across his chest. Her breath smelled like vanilla cookies, and her hair smelled like strawberries. He smiled slightly, holding her close. She was so wonderful.

He stayed up for hours, breathing sweet nothings softly to her and holding her close. He didn't know why. He just felt like he might lose her soon. He was just being paranoid, though. The same thing wouldn't happen with her. He wouldn't let the same thing happen to her. He couldn't.

It was around three am when he looked at the clock again. The time difference affected him so that he couldn't sleep at all, though he should probably have felt just as tired as Ryan. He felt her stir, and though she didn't say anything, he noticed a change in her breathing. "Ry?"

"Mmm?"

"Did you just wake up?"

"Yeah. I was about to go back to sleep."