Chapter Twelve

❝fight (pronounced fʌɪt or fite), verb
to take part in a confrontation, or to argue.❞

Ryan turned around. "I- I-"

"You think that this is what she wanted? She would never have wanted this. Hunter's a traitor."

"You're- you're Alexia, right? Parker's sister?"

"It's Lexi. But you don't get to call me that. Only my friends call me Lexi."

She stayed quiet, and Lexi glared at her. "Hunter loved Lilly. He loved her. And she was always so scared that some little minx would come 'round and take him from her. I guess she was right to be afraid. What a fickle man."

Ryan shook her head. "I... listen, I-"

"You stole Hunter from a dead woman. That's what you did."

Her heart was pounding. "A-Alexia... I wouldn't fall for him if Lilly were still alive."

"You have no right to say her name."

But Ryan shook her head. "What brought this on? I never tried to hurt you. I never tried to do anything to you. Hunter... I love him. I really do. I promise. I didn't fall for Hunter to spite Lilly. In fact, I didn't want to fall for him. I was scared."

"Like that ever stopped you. And now look at you."

"What do you mean?"

She laughed humourlessly. "You think you can really pass that off as just gaining some weight? I've seen enough pregnancy bellies to know exactly why you look so healthy."

She didn't say anything, and the look in Lexi's eyes was scaring her. "My best friend," she said softly. "My only friend. And now you're trying to force yourself into our little circle. You don't belong here."

"You're acting like a child," said Ryan. "Since when was any of this ever about trying to- to steal anything, to force myself into a group of people? I don't want to steal Hunter from you. Lilly didn't die because of me."

Lexi's eyes filled with tears. "Who do you think you are?!"

"I'm not trying to hurt you, Lexi! Please, I want to be your friend-"

"Don't! Don't call me Lexi!" She ran out of the room, and Ryan stood there in pure shock. She felt tears prick at her eyes, and she looked down. She couldn't afford to start crying, she wasn't sure if her makeup was waterproof. What had brought that on? She hadn't said anything about Lexi, or even met her before.

"Honey?"

She looked up, hoping for Hunter, but she saw her father, Carter, instead. "Oh, darling," he said softly, his eyes twinkling. "You look so beautiful."

"Pa," she whispered, and Carter hugged her tightly. His shoulders were shaking, and Ryan realised what he was doing. "Pa, don't cry," she said, laughing slightly, though she was still close to tears. "It's okay. I'm gonna be happy."

"I know, darling," he said, sounding choked up. She hadn't ever seen him cry before, and she got her hatred of crying in front of people from him. "I just can't believe my little girl's all grown up. I still remember the day you were born, and your poor Mama, she was so tired... I could hold you in one hand, that's how tiny you were."

"I'm still your little girl, Pa," she said, wiping his tears. "Nothing will ever change that."

He smiled at her, before it faded. "You look upset."

"Upset? Me? Why would I be?"

"I don't know... but I know you're not happy."

"It's nothing, Pa. Just nerves."