15. Selfish Love

After we released one another, Draco steps inside and closes the door himself. We didn't say anything to each other for a few moments. Although it was dark in the hallway I could still make out his face due to the light from outside shining in through the windows. I could see his tired eyes and worn out appearance which told me that he has obviously been restless for three whole days. He was also wearing the same clothes since I last saw him. It was a tense moment between us as we stood face to face, like we were waiting for each other to say something to the other. There were so many things I wanted to tell him, like how much I missed him and that I was glad he was finally here. But I couldn't ignore the burning question that has been ringing through my ears for days now.

"Where have you been? I was worried sick!" My voice came out in a tone of anger, rather than a gentle one. I felt guilty because I knew that Draco had been through a lot.

He didn't answer straight away. Instead his eyes raked up the full length of my body before a smirk played his lips. "You obviously weren't expecting me. You were as pale as a ghost when you opened that door. Why do you have your wand in your hand?"

"Don't change the subject Draco, now isn't the time for jokes." I shot back in anger. I then loosened my grip on my wand before shrugging. "It's past midnight. Do you blame me for being cautious?"

"I suppose not." He sighed. "I'm sorry Hermione."

"For what? Disappearing? Making me feel sick with worry? Not getting in contact to at least let me know that you're okay? The list could go on."

"All of it I guess. I really didn't mean to hurt you." He said in what sounded like a genuinely apologetic voice which immediately softened me up. "But please cut me some slack. It's been an awful time for me, but I know it has for you too."

I pursed my lips together while wondering why the hell he thinks I should cut him some slack. But I knew that I needed to handle this situation gently. I couldn't launch into a serious of rants; I had to take it slowly and piece by piece. "I suppose we should go inside and talk. Do you want anything to eat or drink?"

Draco smiled a little which warmed my heart. "Actually I could do with some decent food. Thank you Hermione."

He followed me into the kitchen and I flicked the light switch on where I saw Draco in the light for the first time. I almost gasp in shock over his worn out face and dark bags under his eyes. His hair was also very messy and hung over his eyes; Draco never lets his hair get like that. He was very specific in how it was styled. Draco sat down at the table as I opened up the fridge to see what I could make him. "Will a sandwich do? I don't have much else until I go shopping."

"That's fine, thanks."

"You obviously weren't around here during your adventures. Mind filling me in where exactly you were?" I casually asked without making eye contact whilst I prepared his sandwich.

Draco didn't say anything. But he spoke up before I could repeat the question. "Goyles."

This made me stop spreading the butter on the bread. I turned my head slightly so I could look at him. "Goyle? Why would you stay with him? I didn't know you still had contact with him..."

Draco lazily shrugged his shoulders. "I don't. I just happen to know where he lives and he agreed to take me in."

"But why... Why would you after what happened between me in him in school last year?"

"I know, I know. I'm an arsehole Hermione, you don't have to remind me." Draco replied instantly in a voice which told me that this particular conversation was over.

"I didn't say you were..." I was hurt, but I didn't want to show it. I turned back around to resume making his food. I was very tempted to stop and tell him to make his own sandwich but I didnt want to cause any drama.