27. In This Together

Draco stared at me with such intensity that I couldn't speak. My mouth went completely dry as many thoughts raced through my mind at once, I couldn't grasp them all at once. Draco was dealing with enough already, he didn't need someone like Blaise to contribute to those problems. How could I possibly be the one to push him even further? I knew that now wasn't the right time, but another part of me was screaming to--

"Look, I know I was harsh earlier...too harsh...." He said softly. He looks down to his feet, seemingly unsure of himself. "I shouldn't take anything out on you. I know you don't deserve it. But I just can't control myself sometimes... especially when so much is happening at once you know? I know it doesn't excuse my behavior, you have a right to call me all the names you--"

"Draco, what are you talking about?" I questioned. He snapped his head up and raised his eyebrows at me like I had missed out on something obvious. Oh. He thought I was calling him a bastard.

"I'm trying to tell you that I am sorry for treating you that way. I shouldn't have and I know that now. But I am not going to apologize for wanting to deal with things my own way." He sighs heavily. He removes his hands from his pockets and pressed them into the sides of his legs. "I don't want you to put your time and energy into me--"

"Stop it, okay? Just stop it." I ran my fingers through my tangled hair in a stressful manner. I wanted to get rid of the large space between him and I but I thought against it for now. "I find it emotionally exhausting trying to get through to you that I want to be here for you. I'm certainly not going to apologize for feeling the urge to help my finace through his struggles. You are here for me when I'm in a mess, always, so why can't it be the other way around? Tell me that Draco."

"Because your not supposed to be dealing with my problems, alright? It's heavy shit Hermione and I don't want that burden on you. I care about you too much for that. Your problems in recent times haven't been like mine--"

"It's not a compeition of who has the most bad things happen to them. When are you going to understand that we are together, therefore we deal with our probelms together and come up with a solution." I reasoned. "Thats called a normal relationship, Draco. If we were anything but that I would be pretty concerned. My response to your suffering isn't a crime. Just like there isn't anything wrong with how protective you are of me - even though you and I both know I am capable of taking care of myself. Tell me why you do that Draco. Tell me why you are protective of me." It wasn't exactly a question, more like a demand.

Draco looked at me as though I said the most ridiculous thing in the world. He crossed his arms over his chest and appeared almost bored as he gave me his answer. "Because I'm in love with you."

I shook my head, satisfied with his answer. I bent down and picked up the bag of groceries and walked in Draco's direction. I didn't make much eye contact apart from when I stopped next to him. We were arm by arm and he looked down to meet my gaze. "Well Draco, I happen to be in love with you too. Because of that, I want to help you in whatever way I can. Notice a connection there?"

I didn't wait for any sort of response from him. I went into the kitchen and unpacked the bag, putting the food into their correct places. By the time I had finished Draco trailed inside with his head down. I eyed him wearily as he leaned against the wall and put his hands into his pockets. I expected him to say something first but he wasn't exactly in a rush to do that. I ended up letting out a frustrated sigh before I swallowed my pride and strode over to him - his eyes only met mine when I stood in front of him. The agony I saw in them shattered my heart. Some may think it's impossible to feel someone elses pain, but it is very much possible. It is like a pulsating wave of excessive emotion that the other sends to you and you couldn't prevent it from consuming you too. It was too cruel to shove it into the back of your mind, if you cared for that person enough, you help them. There was no easy way out.

"Draco..." I began softly. "I am so terribly sorry about your father and what happened to him. Anyone in your position would not deal with it well. It was a horrible way for him to die and I...feel your pain. I really do Draco, you have to believe me."

"Hermione...no..." Draco's voice came out thickly. He brought a shaky hand up to his hair and ran his fingers through it - I noticed that his forehead was beaded with sweat too.

"I love you Draco. I really really love you and I don't want you to push me away, I want you to let me in and keep me there. Don't you get it? We have to do that for each other. We need to." My voice came out sounding much more desperate. I was pleading with him, but I'm sure sure what for. I grabbed his hand and I squeezed it - his hand was cold and it was startling to my own sweathy palms.

"You have trouble letting people in, I know that. But this is me Draco. I would never dream of doing anything to step out of line or disrespect your trust for me. You can tell me anything. You know you always can. I want you to rely on me enough to confide in matter's like these. It's okay Draco." I squeezed his hand with more urgency this time as I blurted out my thoughts quickly. I knew it was all probably too much for him to comprehend but I couldn't stop myself.

"Hermione." He said again rather weakly. His head fell forward slightly.

"If you don't want to talk now, it's fine. I can't force you at all. But I also don't want you to be angry like you said earlier. I meant it when I said it solves nothing. It really only makes the pain all the more unbearable. I know it probably doesn't make much sense to you but--"

"Hermione." He raised his voice to shut me up. I was about to protest until I looked at him - really looked at him.

Something was wrong.

All the blood was drained from his face even though he was pale enough already - his lips were almost white. Sweat glistened his forehead and hairline. He appeared to struggle to keep his eyes open and his eyebrows burrowed into a confused frown. His chest moved up and down in quick and unsteady breaths and his head lowered even more.

Before I could think about anything, I felt the dead weight of Draco's limp body crash into mine and I let out an earth shattering scream.

_____________________________________________________________________

:) :) :)

Comment & Vote! x