17. Malfoy vs Potter

Hermione

"Draco wake up. You can't keep missing days at the ministry of magic!" I called Draco for what must have been the tenth time this morning. It was well known that Auror training was tough and well demanding; it needed to be taken seriously. Draco did take it seriously of course, it was something he grew to be passionate about after the war at Hogwarts. He wanted to do right in the wizarding world, to do the exact opposite of what he was taught growing up.

It was the morning after the night before and Draco's hangover was clearly taking effect. He let out a loud groan and said a few curse words; I could only roll my eyes as I poured myself out a cup of coffee in the kitchen. I made my coffee extra strong today, but it didn't make me feel any more awake. I spent a long time tossing and turning last night after receiving my next letter my Blaise, which by the way I have not opened yet. I'm not sure I wanted to. After I retrieved it I immediately hid it in my wardrobe with the last one I got. I could not be dealing with or worrying about Blaise Zabini right now, there were more important things. I still fully intended to not allow Draco to find out; he was in far too much of an emotional place right now and something like this would not help him heal. I knew that I would probably regret a decision like this if it all backfired, but worrying about it right now wasn't an option. Draco's wellbeing was my only priority.

I am about to yell for Draco again but I didn't need to because in that moment the kitchen door swung open and in walks Draco like I have never seen him before. His appearance was enough to nearly make me choke on my coffee with laughter. It was obvious he struggled to keep his eyes open with the tiredness (which seemed impossible considering he was out cold all night); the entire colour was drained from his face making him look paler than usual, thick stands of blonde hair hanging over his forehead and he clutched a fleece blanket around his tall frame. He was still as a statue too and didn't even blink; anybody would have assumed he was sleep waking.

"You okay?" I was almost afraid to ask.

"Head...pain....potion?" He spoke like almost breathlessly like somebody like just gave him a jab on the throat.

"Yeah I have something for that. Sit down and I'll get it." I struggled to hold back the giggles as I watched him move slowly and steadily towards one of the chairs at the table. He groaned again as he sat down and buried his face into his hands.

"Never drinking...again." He said. I wasn't sure if he was directing it to me or himself.

I retrieved a ready-made potion from a kitchen cupboard where I usually keep anything medical or magic related. This particular potion was good for targeting headaches. I took the lid off and I used my wand to heat it up and get it ready for consumption. After I finished I handed it to Draco in a cup. He sniffed it first and made a disgusted face before he took a big mouthful and gagged. He took another sip and gagged again.

"What the hell is in this?" Draco exclaims, almost sounding like his usual self again.

I rolled my eyes. "It's not supposed to taste pleasant. Just drink it all quickly and you'll feel better."

Draco went ahead and drank the whole potion in one go, he looked like he needed to throw up when he handed me the empty cup. I only grinned at him before I went over to the sink to wash up. I asked him, "Do you want any breakfast?"

"Not really," He answered in his normal voice. No longer did he sound so sick and breathless. "You'll find that when you have a hangover, you lose your appetite."

"Well there is only one person to blame for that." I answered in a mocking voice before I stuck my tongue out at him to let him know I was joking.

"Yeah, really funny Hermione. Hilarious." He answered in a flat voice while rolling his eyes. He tightened the blanket around his shoulders before he hesitantly said to me, "I'm sorry about last night...about the things I said to you I mean."