31. A Gift From The Dead

Blood.

The life fluid drained out of the rabbits severed neck - dark crimson with a discreet and metallic scent. Of course I was used to blood, I had no choice to be considering I was training at a hospital. I needed to be prepared for gory situations at hand. But something about this sight made me sick to my stomach. Maybe it was something to do with the fact a person so evil could commit such a barbaric act upon a harmless creature. An animal. Somebody's pet.

I eyed the tiny blue collar on the rabbit's neck.

My legs gave up on me once again.

"Hermione." Ron's loud and abrupt voice rang in my ears as he caught up from falling to the ground. "Let's get you inside. Give me your keys."

With a shaky hand I gave him the keys. "B-but what about the.... The rabbit?"

I tore my gaze away from the animal. I could no longer bear it. I had seen dead human bodies up close and personal before but something about seeing a lifeless animal made me feel a strange mixture of sorrow and anger. Animals were innocent. They would never hurt anybody, yet there were individuals out there who didn't care about their well-being.

I wanted the life to drain from Blaise Zabini.

"Don't worry about it Hermione, I'll sort it out. Let's just get you inside. Watch your step." Ron pressed his palm into my shoulder as he led me towards the door. I blinked back the tears as I stepped over the rabbit, mindful of the blood, and into my apartment. Once I was inside I turned around and looked at Ron who was already taking his wand out of his jacket pocket. He looked paler than I had ever seen him before, he was way out of his comfort zone. I knew Ron was an animal lover so this was going to have a profound effect on him.

"What are you going to do?" I asked, swallowing a lump in my throat.

"Well I'm going to have to use a spell to transport it to another location and clean the mess up afterwards. Quick and easy." Ron stiffened. "I don't feel well."

"It's okay I can-"

"No." Ron stopped me. "I'm fine. It's fine.... I can do it. And you don't need to watch this. You look like you're about to have a panic attack."

He was right. I didn't want to see it and I knew my body was in shock. I couldn't think of anything more worse than watching Ron get rid of a dead rabbit. Slowly I nodded and turned around. The door behind me shut with a slight slam sending a shiver down my spine. I made my way into the living room and my jelly-like legs couldn't take much more standing. I buried my face into my hands and did everything I could not to break down.

Soon.

The message in blood was crystal clear in my head like it was permanently etched. What did it mean? What was soon? I took deep and steady breath's as I began to circle the room. Too much. It was all too much. I knew it meant something, something which I didn't want to find out. Blaise Zabini needed to be stopped long before someone got hurt. And it was up to me.

"Hermione."

I shrieked as I spun around to see Ron standing in the doorway. I didn't even register his presence. "It's done. There is no evidence to suggest that it was there."

A slight weight was lifted off my shoulders and I exhaled. I could still see the poor rabbits small body in my mind. I remember one of my cousins owned a rabbit when I was little and begging my Mother to let me have one. The tears began to pool my vision. "Did anyone see?"

"No... nobody was around." Ron seemed fairly certain. "Hermione...."

"Don't." I put my hand up. "I know what you're going to say. I am fully aware that this Blaise situation needs to be sorted."