Chapter 5

"Please," Luca pleads.

Pulling my hand away, I cross my arms over my chest. "Let's go out back. You have five minutes."

As we walk towards the back door, we pass Maddox. "Hey fuck face," he says, bringing a hand down on Luca's shoulder.

"Hey," Luca mutters, keeping his head down.

We go out by the pool and I stand there waiting for him to begin. "Time starts now," I say.

Sighing, he begins. "I know we haven't been together for long but I really like you. I'm a completely different person when I drink and I was a dick last night. You were right - I shouldn't have drank that much. You looked so good last night and I thought maybe we take another step in our relationship. I know it was wrong but I couldn't help it. I got pissed and I overreacted. All I ask is that you give me another chance."

I shake my head, looking at the pool. "I'm not gonna be that stupid girl that takes her piece of shit boyfriend back after he cheats on her."

"Hadley, please," he begs softly.

"I can't be with you," I say, finally meeting his eyes.

He takes the opportunity to step forward and press his lips to mine. Using all the strength I have, I push him away from me. He stubles back, falling into the pool. "What the fuck?" he yells when he finally comes back up.

"I think your time's up," I snap.

Muttering incoherent words under his breath, he climbs out of the pool. I hear the door open behind me and turn to see my mom, Jason, and Maddox all in the doorway. "What happened? I was going to ask if your friend wanted to stay for breakfast," my mom says, concern on her face.

I glance at Luca who looks annoyed. "Actually, Luca was just on his way out."

Shaking his head, he uses the gate on the side of the house to leave. Maddox smirks while my mom and Jason stare at me, confused. "Let's eat," my mom says.

We go back inside and eat breakfast together. My mom and Jason talk while Maddox and I keep quiet. There's a certain awkwardness between us after last night. After we're done eating, my mom and I clean up before I go upstairs. "I seen you push him, you know," Maddox says as I pass his room.

"Good for you," I say, uninterested in having a conversation with him.

When I get into my room, I grab some clean clothes and shower.

There isn't much to get over in the relationship I just lost because it was so short lived. The way he intentionally hurt me was the worst. I know I'll be over it soon because there weren't many feelings involved. We liked each other. We were comfortable with each other. But I know I didn't love him. It was far to early in the relationship to decide something so big.

I lean my forehead against the tile wall in the shower as the warm water washes over me. He's replaceable – I know this. But the way he did what he did really hurts.

Pushing my thoughts aside, I shut the water off and get out of the shower.

****************************

After spending the day in bed, listening to depressing music, my phone rings at about quarter after seven. Seeing that it's Brooke, I answer it. "Hello?"

I sit up immediately when her sobbing fills my ear. "Hadley, I need you," she cries.

"Brooke, are you okay? What happened?"

"Come downstairs," she says, hanging up.

I drop my phone and run down the stairs. When I open the door, Brooke is walking up the steps. She wears baggy pants that show off her boxers and a black t-shirt. She's the type of girl who can wear a dress one minute and boy clothes the next. Her curly black hair is everywhere and her eyes are red from crying. "Come here," I say, holding open my arms.