Chapter 8

Back to Hadley's perspective. Let me know what you think so far. Remember to vote and comment. (:

Oblivious.

The word repeats itself repeatedly in my head. I'm oblivious.

I try pushing the thoughts aside as I get ready for work. I wead a short jean skirt that hugs my hips and my black work shirt that cuts off just above my naval. The sleeves are cut off, leaving big holes in the side for my arms and showing off my sparkly pink bra. My hair is curled to perfection and my makeup is done as usual.

I make my way downstairs while digging through my bag for my keys. Just as I find them, I see movement below me. "Hey," Maddox says, staring down at his phone. "Do you mind if I borrow the car?"

"I need it to get to work," I say, brushing past him.

Before I can open the door, he catches my wrist. Pulling me back, he looks me over. "What the fuck are you wearing?" he asks.

I sigh. "Look, I really don't have time for this," I say impatiently.

"You're not leaving in that," he shakes his head. "Go upstairs and change."

I laugh humorlessly. "Okay, dad."

"Hadley, I'm being serious," he says.

My jaw drops. After being a dick earlier, he's going to try and tell me what to wear? I don't think so. "You're unbelievable," I shake my head. "Bye."

He groans, following me out the door. "Fine. Can I borrow your car though? I'll drop you off."

"Fine. I get off at two. Pick me up then," I say.

He tugs the keys away from me and we get into the car. The car ride is silent except for my occasionally telling him to turn. When we arrive at the bar, he furrows his eyebrows. "You work here?"

"Yeah. Pick me up at two," I say before getting out of the car.

When I get inside, Cherry and Adriana are behind the bar. I smile at them before going into the back room. I drop my bag on the table and jump when I feel a hand on my shoulder. "Hadley," Josh says, turning me around.

"You scared the shit out of me," I breathe,

Josh is the owner of this place. He met Luca as a child because their mother's were best friends. Josh was about eight years older than us, allowing him to own a place like this. "Hadley," he says, looking down as he uncomfortably shoves his hands into his pockets, "I have to let you go."

I take a step back in shock, my back hitting the table. Luca, that son of a bitch. This is all his fault, I just know it. "Because of Luca, right?" I ask, nodding because I already know the answer. "That piece of shit."

He runs a hand through his hair. "It's not that. It's just..."

"You can't fire me because he told you to," I snap. "Isn't that against the law or something?"

He sighs, shaking his head. "The state law allows business owners to fire people without an excuse."

"This is bullshit," I growl, grabbing my bag.

"You're eighteen. It was a risk letting you work here in the first place."

I shake my head, walking away. "Fuck you and tell Luca I'm going to fucking kill him," I shout.

When I get behind the bar, I give Cherry a hug. "What's going on?" she aaka confused.

"Josh let me go because of Luca," I sigh.

Adriana seems to have heard too because she slams the bottle down. "Luca? I know I haven't been nice to you but you shouldn't let a man do that to you," she growls.