Chapter 10

Before I know it, the week comes to an end. This is the last night alone before our parents come back. Maddox and I distance ourselves from one another but we discussed throwing a party. He said he'd handle everything which was fine with me. Tonight's the party and I'm really excited.

I stayed at Brooke's last night so we sit in her room, getting ready for the party. Last night I decided not to get all dressed up so I wear a pair of skinny jeans and a tight black v-neck. Brooke straightens my hair as I do my makeup. When she's done with me, she gets ready. While she gets dressed, my phone rings. "Hello?"

"Hey, Hadley. It's Adeline," Adeline says softly. "Do you have a minute to talk?"

Still surprised to hear her voice, I clear my throat. "Yeah. Of course," I nod.

"Brooke won't answer my texts or calls so I can't do this without you. I miss her, Hadley. I love her so much and I want her back," she says. "But I need your help. She won't open the door if she knows it's me. I just need you to get her in the same place as me."

Considering what she has said, I stand up. I quietly leave the room so I can speak without Brooks getting suspicious. "Brooke is my best friend, Adeline. You can't expect me to go behind her back like that," I sigh.

She sniffles quietly. "You know I wouldn't ask you for help if I didn't need to but Brooke's stubborn. I just want to see her again to talk to her."

Adeline and Brooke were a great couple. They both truly love each other. It's sad that Adeline's parents had to discriminate against Brooke's skin color. As much as I want them to be together again, I remember how Adeline didn't stand up for her and it hurts. The fact that Brooke is in pain because of her makes me upset. "You didn't stand up for her, Adeline," I say quietly.

Her sobbing fills the phone. "I know and I'm so sorry. My parents are horrible human beings. I'll never speak to them again if that's what Brooke wants. I'm begging you, Hadley. Please help me."

Closing my eyes, I make my decision. I want Brooke to be happy again. "I'm throwing a party at my house tonight. Look pretty and I'll get a little bit of alcohol in her system before you get there."

"Thank you so much!" she cries.

"You're welcome. I have to go. See you later," I say before hanging up.

Once Brooke is done, we head over to my house. The music is loud and the house is crowded. Maddox has the stairs blocked off so no one can get upstairs. Overall, the party seems to be controlled. I take Brooke to the kitchen where we each get a beer. "This is awesome," Brooke grins.

"I know," I nod, sipping on my drink.

We stand there for a long moment until Maddox comes into the kitchen. "Looking nice tonight ladies," he says, not even looking at us.

Brooke and I chuckle quietly while he pours something into three shot glasses. "What's that?" I ask.

He holds up a bottle of Tequila Rose. "Your favorite."

Passing us each a glass, we all drink the shot. "Thanks," Brooke says.

When someone steps into the kitchen, all of our eyes fall onto them. Brooke tenses when she makes eye contact with Adeline. I gulp nervously and glance at Maddox. He clears his throat and grabs my hand. "We'll be out here. My room is empty if you want somewhere quiet to talk," he says.

He drags me out of the kitchen and into a crowd of dancing people. Realizing where we are, he quickly turns around, bumping into me. "Sorry," I say, stepping back.

Before I can get away, his grip on my hand tightens and he tugs me towards him. "Dance with me," he says into my ear.

My eyebrows furrow. "We've avoided each other for days and now you want to dance?"