Chapter 31

Hadley's P.O.V.

Maddox has been M.I.A. for over a week now. After dinner, he disappeared. My stomach has been healing really well and I can move normally. I've been to therapy a few times and discussed the situation with a woman named Marcia. Even though I've only seen her a few times, I have a better grip on things. Having a relationship with Maddox actually seems possible at this point. Well... maybe not when he's missing.

My mom has been by my side all week. I've tried getting her to back off some but she just wouldn't budge. I asked Jason for some help and he agreed. After a lot of convincing, my mom agreed to a night out. Now I sit on the couch alone.

The TV dimly lights the room as I lay across the couch. Ever since I got home from the hospital, I've been thinking about my future. I want to experience life - having a family, husband and kids - because I don't know when my time will come to an end. I could've died and all that would've been left behind is worthless objects.

When I her the door open, I'm immediately on alert. "Who is it?" I call nervously.

"Just me." Maddox says quietly, coming into the room.

He stands in the doorway, giving me an apologetic look. Knowing what he's thinking, I look down to my lap. "You know. Don't you?"

He sighs. "You were never gonna tell me so Brooke told me. Don't be mad at her because she thought I should know."

I nod slowly. "I should've told you. I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize, princess. You have nothing to be sorry for. I never should've left you to begin with."

"I'm in no mood to talk about the past. I wanna talk about our future." I say, patting the cushion beside me.

He sits down next to me and takes a deep breath. "Look, if you don't wanna be with me -"

"I want to have a baby." I blurt out, making him raise his eyebrows. "Your baby." I clarify.

"Okay." He says slowly. "What made you decide this?"

"I could've died, Maddox. I want to have kids before I die and that could be any day." I explain. "We should spend the rest of our lives together."

"Do you really mean it?" He asks, hopefully.

"I want to now. I already have baby names picked out." I grin.

He smirks. "I missed you."

"I missed you too." I say softly.

He grabs my hand, lacing our fingers together. "But are you sure you're ready? We don't have to rush into things."

"I've been ready for four years, Maddox. It should've been you I was with all along."

He presses his lips to mine and I smile. I missed this. I missed being with him. With the man I love.

He slowly drags my shirt over my head, holding it as he picks me up. Carrying me into my bedroom, he lays me on the bed. He unhooks my bra, revealing my exposed torso. As he begins undressing, I finish taking my clothes off. When we're both undressed, he picks me up. "Last chance, princess. Are you sure?"

"Yes." I moan. "I love you."

"I love you too."

He sits on the bed and I straddle over him. Reaching between us, I guide him into me. I place my hands on his shoulders and his hands are on my hips. Slowly, he lifts me up then allows me to go back down. When I push him back, I take over - setting a quicker pace.

****************************

I smack his hand away. "I want to make sure I'm pregnant before we'll tell them. Mine as well get all the surprises out at once."

"I'm so excited." He grins. "I really want a baby."

"Boy or a girl?" I ask.

"Boy because if I had a girl, she'd hate me."

"Why?" I chuckle.

"Because the first guy to look at her would get his face smashed in. Her boyfriends will all be dead in ditches. The first boy to steal away her innocence will have their balls cut off." He growls.

I laugh. "If that's how men are, I'm kind of glad I never had a father."

He shrugs. "We have to protect our children."

I nod. "So... for a boy I was thinking Jackson or Liam. If I had a girl, I'd name her Brooklyn. Any more girls would be Emery or Ember."

He smiles. "You've thought about this a lot. Haven't you?"

"Ever since I got out of the hospital." I sigh. "I want a boy and a girl. In no particular order though."

We continue talking about our future together. Since I was in the hospital, I couldn't take my birth control so there's a big chance I'm already pregnant. I'm worried about telling our parents but I try not to over-think it.

When I hear a knock at the door, I answer it. On the other side is Detective Reagan. "How are you, detective?" I smile.

"Not bad, Hadley. How about you?"

"Great." I smile happily.

He smiles. "That's good. The five men who broke in on the night you were beaten have been identified and arrested for breaking and entering and other charges for things I cannot discuss. All of the things from the apartment have been relocated to a storage bin near the location."

"Okay." I nod.

"Caleb's parents have gotten all of his things out and donated most of it. As for your stuff, they are having it sent to a storage unit near here so you can go through the things. They said if there's anything of his things mixed in with yours, keep it or donate it."

"Sounds good." I nod.

"I figured. You probably won't be returning to the state?" He asks.

I shake my head. "No. I'm gonna start over... again." I chuckle. "This is where I belong and I know that now. I'm gonna settle down and live a little."

He smiles. "Good. Sorry for all the trouble you've had to go through. I wish you the best of luck."

"Thanks, Reagan. Have a good day."

"You too, Hadley."

We go our separate ways and I run to tell my mom the news. The men have been arrested and I have nothing to worry about. Now I can move on with my life and actually be happy with Maddox.

*******************************

VOTE ★ COMMENT ★ FOLLOW