Chapter 32

When I get to the store, I walk to the aisle of pregnancy tests. As I'm trying to pick one out, I see a familiar figure down the aisle. I walk closer and see Adeline picking out prenatal vitamins. "Adeline?" I ask, confused.

Her eyes widen as she looks over at me. "Hadley. What are you doing here?"

"Shopping." I answer. "Why do you need prenatal vitamins?"

She bites he lip nervously. "I was just looking at the different kinds. I'm waiting for my prescription to be filled."

My jaw drops. "You're pregnant? But... how? You and Brooke..."

She sighs placing the bottle back on the shelf. A smile slowly spreads across her face. "We weren't gonna tell anyone until after the first trimester but I'm gonna have a baby. We used a donor." She explains.

"Congratulations." I grin, wrapping my arms around her. "I'm so happy for you guys."

"Thanks. But now it's my turn to ask questions." She says, eyeing the shelves behind me. "Is there something you wanna tell me?"

"I might be pregnant. After being in the hospital, I realized I wanted a family."

She smiles. "That's great. Are you with Maddox again?"

I nod. "Yeah. When I find out I'm pregnant we're gonna drop the bomb on our parents."

Her name is called at the counter and she sighs. After giving me a small hug, she heads over to the counter. "Good luck."

"Thanks." I smile.

I grab two different boxes and head to the cash registers. When I get home, I go upstairs and into the bathroom. After taking the tests, I leave them in the bathroom and get Maddox. "Hey, princess." He says when he sees me.

I lean over his bed and press my lips to his. "Hey, babe."

He sits up on his elbows and smiles. "Did you get the tests?"

I nod. "Yeah. We'll have an answer in about five minutes."

"Great." He breathes. "I figured we could start moving your stuff into my apartment this weekend after we talk to our parents."

"Sounds great. Come on."

When we step into the hallway, I see my mom going into my room. I instantly panic and run after her. "Mom!" I call.

"I'm just getting the trash from your bathroom. It goes out tonight." She says.

When I get to the bathroom, it's too late. Maddox stands behind me, peeking over my shoulder as my mom gets the trash. She holds the cardboard box to the pregnancy test in her hand. After what feels like forever, she speaks. "Are you pregnant?"

She speaks lowly and I almost cringe. Her eyes are glued to the box and that's probably for the best - I'm not sure if I can handle her stare. "I don't know yet." I admit.

Dropping the box into the trash, she continues to tie the bag. "I know he made you do things but didn't you keep taking your birth control?" She asks, sadly almost.

"Mom, it's not Caleb's." I shake my head.

She smiles slightly, finally looking at me. "Thank goodness for that. It'd be horrible of that were to happen."

Biting my lip, I look down to the floor. "You might not approve of the father though."

Looking at her through my eyelashes, I see the confusion on her face. "Well who is it?"

Maddox runs his fingertip gently along my spine and I shiver. I know now is not the time so I don't tell her. Instead, I say, "Let's see if I'm pregnant first."