Chapter 18

^ Caleb above (Jeremy Irvine) ^

After three weeks, I move my things back to my mom's house. I pack everything I need for college and pack my car. Driving across the country by myself is going to be hell but I insisted I'd be okay. I have enough money for a hotel room if I need to stop and I have food and drinks in the passenger seat.

My mom, Jason, Maddox and Brooke are all in the living room while I grab a few more things from my room. Brooke still strongly dislikes Maddox and he can tell. I think everyone can. She glares at him most of the time and never speaks to him.

After our goodbye kiss, Maddox and I haven't really spoke. This is the longest I've been near him since then. Most of my time has been spent getting ready for my trip to college.

Adeline already said her goodbyes. She couldn't see me off because she had to work. My mom has been crying since I got here. Brooke's eyes are swollen with unshed tears. Maddox just sits there emotionlessly, as does his father.

After I've got the last few things, I go to the door. "I'm ready," I call.

Their shuffling feet follow me outside. I place the last few things in the back seat then turn around. My mom wraps her arms around me, crying onto my shoulder. "I'm going to miss my baby so much!" she cries.

I gently rub her back. "I'm going to miss you too, mom. I love you."

"I love you too."

She kisses my cheek then backs off. Jason gives me a quick side hug. "Have a safe trip. Don't hesitate to call if you need anything. It doesn't matter what time it is here."

"Thanks, Jason," I smile.

He nods. My mom flings herself at him and he takes her back inside. Next is Brooke. We stare at each other until a tear escapes her eye. She sniffles, wiping it away. I hold open my arms and she fills them. As much as I want go cry, I stay strong for her sake. "I love you," she mumbles into my shoulder.

"I love you too," I say, holding onto her tightly.

"Be careful, okay? Call me whenever you want. I'll always be here for you. Be careful," she says.

When she backs away, my eyes move on to Maddox. His eyes are filled with tears but he doesn't look at me. I grab a fistful of his shirt and tug him to me. "Come here," I mumble.

Standing on the tip of my toes, I wrap my arms around his neck. He snakes his arms around my waist, holding me against him. "Stay," he quietly begs. "Please."

"I can't," I sigh.

My eyes fill with tears but I don't let them fall. I have to stay strong. Glancing back at the house, I make sure Jason and my mom can't see before pecking his lips. "You'll forget about me in no time," I say.

The thought just about kills me. I don't want him to forget about me. I want to be the only one on his mind. He gives me a sad smile. "I could never forget about you, princess."

Brooke is fully crying now. I pull away and open the car door, climbing in. When I look back, I see Brooke in Maddox's arms. I wave to them before driving away from my old life - heading towards my new one.

****************************

When I get all my things up to my dorm room, I begin unpacking. After a while, the door opens and a guy walks in. "Uh, who are you?" I ask.

"Caleb, your roommate. You must be Hadley."

I stand up from sitting on the floor. "Yeah. Nice to meet you," I say, shaking his hand. "But don't they usually assign roommates based on gender?"

He smiles one of the most amazing smiles I've ever seen. "Yes, but they made a mistake so you'll have to deal with me for now. I'm planning on going to the office first thing Monday morning because they're closed on the weekends."

I nod. "Oh."

He sets his bag on the empty bed. "Are you single, Hadley?"

"Yeah. How about you?"

"I'm single. I was just wondering because I really don't want to watch you make out with your boyfriend while I'm here. That'd just be awkward," he chuckles.

I smile. "So we can agree that strictly friends can come into the room?"

"Strictly friends," he nods. "Since we're establishing rules, let me say that you are not allowed to wear clothes in this room."

My jaw drops. "E-excuse me?"

He laughs. "I'm only joking. Feel free to roam naked though. I won't mind."

I shake my head. My roommate is a joker. Taking a moment to look him over, I notice his beautiful green eyes. His brown hair barely falls over his forehead and his body is mostly hidden by clothes. "Also, I have a fifty inch flat screen on it's way up as we speak. If any of your strictly friends happens to come over, they aren't allowed to touch the remote. Only you and I are," he smiles.

I nod. "Okay. Please tell me you have a race car bed on it's way up too. If so, we can be best friends," I chuckle.

He smirks. "I can have that arranged. What's your favorite color?"

"Red," I say.

He nods. I roll my eyes before returning to my things. When everything is unpacked, I lay down on my bed. The next time the door opens, men bring the fifty inch TV in and hang it on the wall. They leave and come back with a twin sized race car bed - a red replica of a Corvette. "You're kidding," I say speechless.

Caleb shakes his head. "I don't mess around. Stand up."

I scramble to my feet and the men take away the bed. They put the red Corvette in its place then leave. When they come back, they put a blue one where his bed once was. Now we have matching beds, thanks to Caleb. "It'll take me all four college years to pay you back for this. I don't want it. Tell them to bring my bed back," I demand, pointing to the door.

He chuckles. "Don't worry about it."

I cross my arms. "How do you want me to pay you back? I have to do something."

He taps his chin in thought. "Go out on a date with me."

My eyebrows furrow. "I think that'd just put me in even more debt. I'm a bad date."

"You said you wanted to pay me back," he points out. "Do it in dates. One date for every hundred dollars spent."

I eye him carefully. "How much was it?"

He smirks. "A million dollars."

I frown. "For real."

He sighs. "Fine. It was five hundred dollars."

I nod slowly. "Five dates and we're even?"

"Five dates and we're even," he nods in agreement.

"Okay."

This was the start of something huge. Something I could never forget. My new life.

********************************

VOTE ★ COMMENT ★ FOLLOW

*The next chapter takes place the summer after she graduates college (about four years later). A lot of things will obviously have changed but they will be explained throughout the chapter, of course.