Chapter 23

Hadley's dress (mentioned towards the end) pictured above.

After hanging out with Brooke, I go back to the hotel to have dinner with Caleb. He orders Chinese to be sent to the room for the two of us. When we sit in front of the TV eating, I think about Maddox. If I'm going to marry him, he should know about Maddox. "Babe, we should talk about something before you go," I say quietly, placing my food on the table.

He follows suit, putting his down as well. "Sure. Go ahead."

He puts his arm around me but I shrug it off before standing up. I straddle his waist, making it impossible for him to get away from me. "Before I went to college, I had a thing with someone," I begin.

He raises his eyebrows. "A sexual thing?"

I have an internal debate for a moment. "A sexual thing but we never had sex."

"Okay," he says slowly.

"You have to promise me that you won't ever speak of this again. If you see him, you cannot say anything. You can't tell my parents. No one. If you do, I'll be beyond fucking pissed."

He rolls his eyes. "We're not in kindergarten. You should know I'm not like that, anyways."

He's right. He's not the kind of person to tell other people someone's business. So I continue. "I'm only telling you because we should tell each other everything if we're going to get married."

"I know," he nods. "Who was it with?"

I swallow. "Maddox."

His eyes widen. "Y-your step brother?"

I nod slowly. "Things happen but I ended it weeks before I went to college."

"Do your parents know?"

"Of course not," I say sternly. "And I plan on keeping it that way."

He takes a deep breath, leaning his head back. "I was going to tell you to stay at your mom's house when I'm gone but I think it's best if you stay here."

I shake my head. "Don't be ridiculous. I may be many things but I am not a cheater. Plus, he lives on his own. He won't even be there."

When he makes no attempt to move or say anything, I grind my body against his as I lean against his chest. A small groan erupts from his lips and I smile slightly. "You can stay," he says. "I have to get going now. My flight's leaving soon."

"Text me when you land," I say, kissing his cheek.

He moves me off of him and walks away. Once all of his stuff if out in the cab, he leaves without even saying goodbye. I pack my bags and call for a cab before turning my key in to the front desk. To my parents house I go.

****************************

My mom is happy I'm staying with them but she's upset Caleb had to go. No matter how many times I tell her he's coming back, she continues saying she barely got to see him. Shortly after arriving, I put the night to an end.

When I wake up the next morning, I have a text from a friend I made in college. We grew close throughout the years and I consider her to be one of my only friends from college.

Chloe: What is Caleb doing back? Did you guys break up or something?

The text was from late last night but I was asleep so I never replied. I tap out a quick reply.

Me: No, we're still together. He just had to go back home for work. He'll be back here in a few days.

I wait a while to see if she replies but she doesn't. I set my phone down and curl up in bed again. Moments later, there's a knock on my door. "Come in," I say.